Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Oct-2005, 13:10
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
yup, you are correct the barrels bolt straight on - the machining I'm on about is at the back of the cases, they need machining for fit up of spacers/bearings to allow the swing arm to be mounted / pivot, as the 916 motor pivot point is totally different to the 851/888.
Baines do a kit for this and that's where the cases are going to for the swing arm pivot modification.
cheers

Neil
Old 27-Oct-2005, 01:45
Mille

I would be interested to hear how it goes Neil. Roughly how much does the kit and installation cost?

I am planning on putting a 996SPS spec. engine in my SP3. I had thought of an ST4S engine with SPS cams, but if a modified SPS engine would work it might save some of the cost of buying upgrade engine parts.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 27-Oct-2005, 09:49
500SD

you obviously have to take the motor apart as the machine shop only want the cases - so if you don't do it yourself there's a strip and rebuild cost at the very least + the bearing/insert kit which includes machining, Baines have quoted me £200 (only for the kit + machining).
I'll keep you updated as she progresses.
cheers

Neil
Old 27-Oct-2005, 20:48
Mille

Mood: Privileged ...
Please, forward your own experience ...
I'll stay attentive coz I didn't know about Baines modifications !!! Moreover £200 quoted is quite interesting !!!

That means an important modification of the original characteristics.
Does it mean that you're allowed to ride your lovely on the open roads regarding the insurance regulations or do you intend an exclusive use on circuits ???
Old 27-Oct-2005, 22:19

the 916 engine will bolt in as the mountings are the same. there is no clearence issues but the swing arm will not fit. the 851 crankcases have an extra piece wich has bearings pressed into it. the 916 doesnt so the only way to do it would be to use a single sided or a 999 arm wich uses its own bearing system or fabricate the missing pieces onto the 916 engine.. the best way would be to keep the 851 cases and install the 916,996 crank shaft piston and heads. the 916 heads flow more than the 851 heads.... i once mated a 916 top end onto a aircooled 900 monster 2v bottom end and used an elctric water pump
Quote:
Originally posted by 851neil
Ok, another project I'm starting - but has anybody here fitted a 916 motor to an 851 frame ??? if so would you mind if I picked your brains - ta very much...
you know - p7 to p8, single to twin injectors, did fitting twin injectors have a major affect on the airbox, who made up spacers & bearings and did the machining on the 916 cases etc etc....
and no I don't want to sell the 851 and go buy a 916
Old 28-Oct-2005, 13:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by cjsperf
i once mated a 916 top end onto a aircooled 900 monster 2v bottom end and used an elctric water pump

What, what what ??? Sounds intriguing!

916 heads on aircooled barrels or 916 barrels and heads on 900 crankcases
Old 28-Oct-2005, 13:28
Mille

Mood: Very sad
You can use 888 SP 5 crank cases on the 916 996 lump seen it done several times. I know a lad with fully kitted 955 corse lump in his 888 and all I can say is YEAH BABY!!!!
Old 29-Oct-2005, 15:47
500SD

yup, that's another way to go - use the original cases, which is just what I did originally. I had the cases machined to take the 955 barrels and pistons and ran her with a 916 crank, rods + 916 heads.
The issue was that I'd been looking around for a set of 916sp heads and just happened to come across the full sp motor. Having spoken to Baines I became aware that they could machine the 916 cases and insert some bearing/sleeve (?) to allow the motor to not only bolt straight into my 851 frame but also to allow the original swingarm to run straight off the back of the cases. Buying the sp motor has got me a close ratio box, pankl rods, nice crank, nice cammy heads and twin injector throttle bodies (my originals are single injector).
When I get the cases back from Baines I'll post up some pics.
In the meantime I've got some kit to sell:
motor, throttle bodies, wheels, forks, P7 ecu, full SP2 exhaust system.
I'll put up a seperate post with prices - no takers and the lots going to e-bay.
cheers

Neil