Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Sep-2003, 19:03

999s Bip suspension settings

OK. So has anyone got some advice on 999s Bip suspension? I read the MCN for Monoposto (Too soft at the back?) but I have a Bip. I presume the spring on the Bip is a higher rate because it doesn't feel bad at the back and it turns well except with a pillion. But the front end does feel rather softly sprung and although it works well for bumpy B roads I reckon it's too-soft. Any thoughts anyone??
Old 30-Sep-2003, 11:48
Bevel Head

I took my 999s Bip to Harris in Hertford who are one of "the" places to go for Ohlins set up. I am in the 12 - 13 stone bracket and had it set up for track days and "spirited" riding.

The front was over sprung and they dropped softer springs in and levelled up the oil. It feels much better and could possibly go softer as I still don't use all the available travel although the sag is set correctly.

The rear spring was left but with the caveat that it might need stiffening up. I am going to go up one level shortly as it is bottoming out particularly in places like Malloy Park (Gerrards) and I can't dial this out with compression damping.

I hope this helps you.

[Edited on 30-9-2003 by Andyl]
Old 30-Sep-2003, 19:11

Thanks for the advice. I'm about 14 1/2 stone so perhaps that's why the front feels a bit soft to me. I'll check the oil levels. The rear I'm surprised. I'm still a bit 'slow' on it so perhaps I'll start to find it too soft when I push a bit harder. Do you know what rate the rear spring is?
Old 30-Sep-2003, 20:07
Bevel Head

Don't rely on it but I think it is a 7.5. I am going up to an 8.2 to get the correct the loaded sag and hopefully this should stop it bottoming out in fast corners.