Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Sep-2006, 18:18
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
It's a blown head gasket isn't it?

Long story that I'll try to make as brief as I can.

888 started to puff out white 'smoke' shortly after being started up. Smoke was puffing out of the vertical header to collector joint, so tightened it up and it stopped.

Next time it started, did it again - although not from the exhaust joint this time, generally from round the oil breather. Looked like there was evidence of oil misting and hose around the oil breather joint a bit perished/split so cut 10cm off and rejoined.

Got a paddock stand (at last) and then noticed that the oil level was half way between the full mark and the top of the sight glass - oil hadn't been touched since the bike was serviced when I bought it 3000 miles ago. I've been checking it as best I can but usually by way of it reading a bit low when on the stand - so it's been overfilled.

Changed the oil filter and changed the oil for 3.5 litres of 15/50 fully synthetic and the smoking all but stopped (but haven't had chance to take it for a good run). I had a theory that it was breathing in oil fumes from an overpressurised crankcase hence the 'smoke' and the reason that the zorsts look a bit sooty.

Left it ticking over yesterday to warm up and the exhausts started to look a bit 'smokey' after a few minutes (actually more like the condensation you get an a cold day than smoke) but at least it's only coming out of the exhausts now - not from the general header/oil breather area.

However, as it got up to near 80 degrees and the thermostat opened, it started to gush coolant from the expansion tank. Now I did overfill the expansion tank by a mere smidgeroo, but it seems to me that the coolant system is being over-pressurised.

I think I've got (or had) two problems that both give similar results.

1) Overfilled oil from previous service leading to puffing out of the oil breather and putting a fine mist over everything nearby due to the slightly perished hose - in turn creating smoke as it burned off (a tiny little bit of oil creates a lot of smoke and there wasn't that much smoke to start with - just wispy stuff that lasted a few minutes)

2) Potentially a blown head gasket - unless anybody has an easier explanation

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 14-Sep-2006, 18:30
500SD

Mood: happy
Hi Jools, was there any water in the oil or oil in the water if there was then it's a blown head gasket. when the bike is on the paddock stand the oil leval will look high as the stand tips the bike forward.
Old 14-Sep-2006, 20:11
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Jools. if you took out one of the spark plugs and them fired her up, apart from sounding a bit rough you may see "water" coming out of the plug hole if the gasket has gone . Or disconnect the plug lead fire her up ,then remove the plug to see if any residue is presant. I hope neither is the case and its just "overfill" 4D
Old 14-Sep-2006, 21:13
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
See this is what I love about this site, one minute you can be olympic sword fencing in the verbal arena for the pure fun of it, then next minute you can have your motor cycling knowledge expanded by you fine Gentleman.
I bless you one and all.
As you may gather, I did not know that!
Old 14-Sep-2006, 22:55
Mille
Bikes: Sts4s in red, of course!

Mood: Ah....Switzerland!
Every blown head gasket that i have experienced has pumped most of the water out of the cooling system, through the overflow.
Diesels are the most spectacular - its a bit like mt. etna erupting under the bonnet, sending orrible brown stuff all over the place.
I shouldn't say this, but i've not had one go on a bike before, i imagine the result is similar though.
Look for the easy fix first, you'll know when it has really gone.
Old 15-Sep-2006, 00:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
if it has not gone badly you wont get oil in to the water as there is enough pressure to pump air into the water system on the copression stroke but not enough to suck the water in
if it smokes worse when you first start it, it could well be head gasket as the water can seep in when the engine is idle
Old 15-Sep-2006, 05:48
Mille

I have heard that the head gaskets can go on 888s. At least you can get the rear head off without taking the engine out.
Get it fixed, if you keep running it the head warps and causes real damage.
Old 15-Sep-2006, 06:01
GTL

Mood: anamorphic with overtones of sanguineness!
Check your compression if you can before you pull it all apart.
Griff
Old 15-Sep-2006, 09:28
Mille
Bikes: Anything I can get my hands on.

Have to say it sounds very simular to what happened to my 851 when the head gasket went. Have to say it was cheap and easy to replace.
Old 15-Sep-2006, 19:50
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas851
I have heard that the head gaskets can go on 888s. At least you can get the rear head off without taking the engine out.
Get it fixed, if you keep running it the head warps and causes real damage.
Hi, It's possible to remove both the complete top ends, with the motor still in the frame.

Steve