Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Oct-2005, 21:06
Mille

Mood: Scared! The SP4 hates me!!
Update to \'Aren\'t SP4s wonderful\'

Thanks for the words of support guys!
Some of you suggested the white smoke was water. Probably right but what happened was that the whole right hand casing was blown out (probably de-threading the bolt holes) and the sump instantly emptied - all over my back tyre.

She's being stripped on Monday and I can't wait (dreading) the damage report.

I think the crank was already on it's way out as the bike was sitting idle for some time before I got it. I'm reliably informed that 888 big-ends corrode if left too long (due to them being made out of ally or something)

Just shows how fragile they can get if ignored.

Thanks again for your morale support and I'll bore you some more when I get the damage report back.

Cheers
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:03

Mood: THE OLDER I GET,THE FASTER I WAS
bad luck mate ,
corrosion of mains is the culprit if she sits around for years , not big ends.
mains then vibrate and collapse - taking out crank and everything else (if you have dialled plenty of revs in !)
Good luck with the rebuild ,
Steve.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:22
Mille

I don't like the sound of all this - the SP2 I bought recently had been sitting around for a few years with infrequent starting/running. So now I'm terrified mine will go the same way !

Are there any warnings this is about to happen ? Rough running, bad mpg, no power ? Is there anyway to check ? Mine is running really nice at the moment (tempting fate now, I'm sure) and it returns 59mpg and still goes like stink.

Matthew
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:34
Ducati Meccanica

hate to say this but, my heap had been sitting unused for quite some time aswell before I purchased it. Bang, slippery downhill slope from that point.
Must be somthing in all this stode-up and not used for years millarchy.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:58
500SD

Tough luck Fred888. I can only say that my own bike has been extremely reliable so far. I've got my fingers crossed now though..!

Red SPS - Maybe you already know this, but the 888SPS/SP5 engine was fitted with special 'low friction' crank bearings, which were designed to last only a few races before needing replacement. Here's some info. (culled from another site) ...

**** "SP4S/SP5 have different crank bearings to SP4. They're of a more 'low friction' design - but they do not last long. This was not an issue when the engine was conceived, since it was intended for a race series in Italy where it would be rebuilt often (500 - 600 kilometres). But if the original bearings are not changed at regular intervals, they become loose and let the crank hammer on the cases until something fails. Usually, the cases crack.
The upgrade is to install 888 Strada crank bearings as soon as possible, and replace the cases with those from an ST4. These have an extra 2 - 3lbs of internal webbing - right in the areas where the case is prone to cracking." ****

Steve
Old 21-Oct-2005, 09:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Steve,

I remember reading all that stuff when I was first looking for an 888 and thinking that an SP was what I really wanted. Somewhat off putting!

Now, when I read these tales of woe, it make me fell a lot happier with Frankenstien's monster, out there. Not to say I wouldn't still like an immac' SP or some sort. Never happy
Old 21-Oct-2005, 16:22
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmmm.....kinda makes me glad I've got a humble strada as well
Old 21-Oct-2005, 16:41
500SD

Guys

In my understanding, it's only the SP5/SPS engines which are vulnerable to this failing. The SP2/3 & 4 models were fitted with 'ordinary' bearings, so should be fine. Maybe there's something in what Fred888 has heard after all. Long-standing engines are inevitably going to be victim to the dreaded dampness!

My own thoughts are that relatively long-stroke motors aren't going to like being revved too highly. The momentum of two big pistons thumping up and down the bores is inevitably going to stress the crank. My own bikes are ridden well within safe rev limits - with only occasional forays into the higher rev-range. Mechanical sympathy I think it's called!!

Steve
Old 21-Oct-2005, 22:06
Mille

Mood: Scared! The SP4 hates me!!
888 SP4 Kaboom!!!

I did notice that the engine felt more 'throbby' after the valves were adjusted, the throttle bodies balanced and new oil / filter.

My advice to anyone with a 888 is:
If the tone or feel of your bike changes in the slightest (enginewise) - get it checked asap.

I noticed the 'stronger' pulses and put that down to better valve clearances. Then a slight 'hiss' like a cammy sound (which was the reason I was taking the bike to the dealer when it blew!!).

I was riding at half throttle everywhere - no high acceleration. Thank god the crank went on a straight and not the left hander I had just exited!!

I will get pics of damage and post them next week for anybody who's interested. Maybe this will benefit other owners who could end up in a similar situation.
Old 24-Oct-2005, 09:17
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Fred..ive just got hold of some brand new genune ducati cranks which may fit the SP4 (and save you a fortune !!). If interested contact richa at louigi moto on 07775557797..be quick though coz i think hes off to lanzarote later this week..!

cheers
nat