Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Dec-2009, 15:18
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
HID Kit Experiences?

Hi Folks and a Happy Christmas to you all.

I know the nights are getting shorter now, but I’m still interested in improving the lights on my 998.

Has anyone on the forum fitted one of these well known auction site HID conversion kits –

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-784-916...item19ad7ad84f

If yes, what solution did you find for locating the ballast unit? Did you encounter any other installation challenges, or was it pretty much plug and play?

BTW – I'm located in Jersey, so no MOT issues.

Many thanks in advance, and a Happy New Year.

Spin
Old 23-Dec-2009, 18:12
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Best performance mod you'll ever make for the money if you ride in the dark.

A few things you may find of use - that kit is only for one lamp, you can get both for about the same price of you look for car kits - find a seeler who does both H1 and H3 kits and ask them to put one of each in the box, most are more than happy to do this.

There is currently a thread HERE on Ducatisti where someone has done their 916, it's only one beam but there are pics to give you a good idea. Depending on which bike you have, you may need to mod the switchgear so that both dip & main are on together when high beam is selected if you decide to use a HID high beam.

As for which colour temp, go for either 4300K or 6000K as these are the closest to natural daylight and get the small ballasts as in the item you showed on ebay.

As for 35W vs 55W, I've had the 35W lamps on my ST for about 3 years, the light they produce is superb and are more than enough for my needs.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 23-Dec-2009, 20:05
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushjob
Best performance mod you'll ever make for the money if you ride in the dark.

A few things you may find of use - that kit is only for one lamp, you can get both for about the same price of you look for car kits - find a seeler who does both H1 and H3 kits and ask them to put one of each in the box, most are more than happy to do this.

There is currently a thread HERE on Ducatisti where someone has done their 916, it's only one beam but there are pics to give you a good idea. Depending on which bike you have, you may need to mod the switchgear so that both dip & main are on together when high beam is selected if you decide to use a HID high beam.

As for which colour temp, go for either 4300K or 6000K as these are the closest to natural daylight and get the small ballasts as in the item you showed on ebay.

As for 35W vs 55W, I've had the 35W lamps on my ST for about 3 years, the light they produce is superb and are more than enough for my needs.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

HID's are illegal on bikes Andy-and you in the job as well................

Happy Xmas

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 23-Dec-2009, 20:26
Big Twin

Old 24-Dec-2009, 00:51
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Actually John, HIDs aren't illegal on bikes. Look at the new bmws etc, all of which are offered with HIDs.

The law states (for cars) that there must be either automatic lamp levelling, or a manual levelling switch. I assume these bikes must have some form of suto levelling too in order to deal with this part of the law.

I've fitted a number of HID kits to both cars and bikes over the years, and have a pair fitted to my ST4S - both beams (I have the low beam set low so there is no chance of dazling oncoming traffic).
I always use without exception autolamps-online.com
See their sister site http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/...motorcycle.htm
I've looked at a number of other kits and the weakness is the lamp itself. If these are not made correctly then the light is not focused correctly.
The owner of autolamps used to work for Philips, so really knows his stuff.

I mounted the ignitors onto the outer sides of the trellis frame below the tank using 3mm foam and tiewraps. I also used the relays provided in the kits to ensure the existing wiring is not overstressed.

its worth noting that the 35w HID bulbs give out roughly the same light output as a 100w filament lamp.
its also worth noting that the lamps and ignitors will draw approx 20A startup current. This is only for a very short period of time though, but it does mean you need to ensure you fit a big enough fuse to accomdate this.

Finally, unless you really want the cool bue look, go for the 4100/4300k lamps. These give a greater light penetration range. They still look a little blue, but not as blue as the 6000/6500k ones (the number refers to the colour temperature of the lamps).

Hope that helps.
Old 24-Dec-2009, 14:10
Big Twin

John, I'll have to disagree with you as to the legality.

Type approved new fits are not illegal, retrofits are, see below...

The following is the legal rationale from the DFT:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps - this is because they comply to European type approval Regulations.

The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles, however we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable.

Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles, it would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles and the same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:
1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

As regards MOT's, providing the beam pattern falls within the acceptable tolerance and the lamp unit is securely fixed and undamaged it will pass, however, if the tester is aware that a HID burner is fitted, the tester is obliged under the MOT regs to advise the customer of this but can do nothing more.

I'd suggest that the actual chances of being prosecuted are slim to say the least, keep them correctly adjusted and very few folks will even raise an eyebrow...
Old 24-Dec-2009, 17:54
Mille

Thanks for your responses Guys.

As I said at the start, I'm in Jersey, so MOT issues and UK legislation is not relevant to me. Your points are noted though.

What I am specifically looking for is other users' solutions to mounting the ballast etc on the 748-998 series.

Anyone out there with experience of this fitment?

Spin
Old 24-Dec-2009, 18:01
Big Twin

Spin - click on the word HERE in the 3rd papragraph of my first post for that info.
Old 26-Dec-2009, 15:10
Mille

Thanks, Rushjob - exactly what I'm looking for.

Spin
Old 27-Dec-2009, 01:21
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Hi Rushjob,

very comprehensive reply

yes, I did realise that they are not type approved to retrofit, my point was though that the sweeping statement of being illegal on bikes is no longer true, given that new bikes come with them fitted now.

Its also interesting to note the 'do nothing but advise' by the MoT tester. This implies that the vehicle will not fail a test as long as they are correctly adjusted. This is my experience.