Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Dec-2009, 22:00
Bikes: Ducati 916 Bip

916 Top end rebuild

I'm going to be doing a top end rebuild in the new year on my 98 916 and was wondering what the costs will be for head and base gaskets, piston rings, valve shims exchange.
If any body could give me a rough idea what the parts cost that would be great so i can set a side some funds.
Also any advice on doing it would be great as I have never had this motor apart before so any tips etc would be most helpful.
Old 09-Dec-2009, 23:16
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I think a Gasket set from Donna at Brancatto Engineering is about £150
No idea on rings or shims and a lot will depend on how many shims you need

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 10-Dec-2009, 09:20
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Dont forget to make an allowance for any rockers that you may require!
Old 10-Dec-2009, 11:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboy
I'm going to be doing a top end rebuild in the new year on my 98 916 and was wondering what the costs will be for head and base gaskets, piston rings, valve shims exchange.
If any body could give me a rough idea what the parts cost that would be great so i can set a side some funds.
Also any advice on doing it would be great as I have never had this motor apart before so any tips etc would be most helpful.

head gasket set is £109.73 + VAT That's the full shooting match with new head gaskets, base gaskets, seals, o-rings, stem seals etc. Cheapest way to get them as the head gaskets alone are £51 each....
Piston ring sets are £77 + VAT per piston.
Tbh, with the shims, i always suggest to customers that the heads are rebuilt then have them in the workshop to shim them up. Saves calculating, ordering shims, not getting them quite right, reordering etc....
Also allow for new 1/2 rings on the closing shims. About a quid each, 2 per valve...
Old 11-Dec-2009, 00:42
Bikes: Ducati 916 Bip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
head gasket set is £109.73 + VAT That's the full shooting match with new head gaskets, base gaskets, seals, o-rings, stem seals etc. Cheapest way to get them as the head gaskets alone are £51 each....
Piston ring sets are £77 + VAT per piston.
Tbh, with the shims, i always suggest to customers that the heads are rebuilt then have them in the workshop to shim them up. Saves calculating, ordering shims, not getting them quite right, reordering etc....
Also allow for new 1/2 rings on the closing shims. About a quid each, 2 per valve...

When you say heads rebuilt what work is carried out?