500SD

Binned it serious problem

So far
1yr old

1 clutch
2 subframes
1 new set off clocks
1 new sump plug

And yes its happend again, going down a dip in the road unbeknown to me the bike ground out .
1mile further down the oil had droped over the rear wheel and as i braked for the bend.Yes you guesed it one binned bike.
Just got back home curtesy of the AA and im not a happy bunny, good job for them Ducati Leeds is shut today
Apart from the bike and leathers im ok, whats the chance of a claim or at very least my bike sorting,As i say this is the second time its grounded (im only 12 stone) 1st time they replaced the plug and oil under warranty,This time its more serious and i could easly been killed
Whys the sump plug alloy and not titanium or at least have a guard, the S & R models are only affected due to the deep sump.
I want Ducati to stump up for this!!!
Old 18-Jul-2004, 17:49
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
So why is it grounding out?
Surely with both front and rear springs pressed to the stops there should still be ground clearance??
Old 18-Jul-2004, 17:57
500SD

Well youd think so but nope...
Old 18-Jul-2004, 18:11
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Even if both me 15 stonnes and the missus 8 stonnes jump up and down on mine together i cant get the fairing to touch let alone the sump plug??

I have had it once on a very steep/ tall sleeping policeman thingy though on the sump plug, when there was a wheel either side of the hump.

You took any piccies of where it happened? Or of the bike before its stripped??

What about the suspension settings, record those aswell, video it if need be to show its not completely slack.
Old 18-Jul-2004, 18:15
BSB Star

How did you not feel the initial thump to the ground of the sump? And stop to look thinking that was hard?

Just a bit of devils advocate mate, that i guess youll come up against soon!
Old 18-Jul-2004, 18:24
500SD

The plug is 1" below the fairing and the the ally is not thick, it only has to brush the tarmac and it grazes thru.
The plugs only about 5mm thick at the bottom, the road is an 80 mph crest which causes the bike to bottom out and there is a lot more force than jumping up and down on the bike
Old 18-Jul-2004, 18:35
BSB Star

So you ground out 5mm of alloy at 80 mph on the road and didnt notice it? And you say "again" as if its done this before?

i know when mine hit the hump at walking speed it jarred all through the bike, and didnt break. Is the bottom of my 999r different to your 999s? have they altered mine because of this?
Old 18-Jul-2004, 19:09
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,suspension and ride height settings come to mind.
Ive not touched anything down on mine yet,apart from dropping it,but RedSeb has touched the fairing down at some time.(749S)
Glad your ok,I'd be very interested to hear what Ducati have to say.
Old 18-Jul-2004, 19:56
500SD

The first time it happened was on a real undulating roat at about 50mph and virtually knocked the plug off, the first i knew was the oil light coming on (within seconds) i killed the engine and got it collected.
All the settings are factory stock as they work well for me, and beleive me you cant here the bike grounding,termis etc.
If i were you id check out your plugs for signs of scuffing as they bottom out before the fairing, I know the roads in yorkshire are rough but this should never happen under any cicumstance
Old 18-Jul-2004, 20:22
500SD

Mood: head down
is your bike a 999s monoposto or biposto