Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Dec-2003, 19:57

Missing a beat

Can any one tell me why, that when my 748 is on tick over it seems to miss a beat now and then almost stopping. For example, I put it on the padock stand, start it up and get it warm, it runs fine around 1,200 then for no reason, just as you turn you back it dies a split second totaly and then carries on fine for another 5 mins or so , and then does it again. There is no coughing or splutering, it just dies then carrys on, it has 45mm termis with a JHP air filter and chip. there are no problems when riding, as most of the time am well above 1,200 rpm.
Old 30-Dec-2003, 20:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
it could be the fuelling or one of the sensors is slightly out?? sitting for some time could get it hot enough to "move" to another fuel map or slightly alter the parameters etc.???
Don't think it'd get hot enough to cut the fan in in 5 minutes, but the loading that puts on when it kicks in could result in a similar effect.
If it's not causing you any problems, and above all is OK whilst riding, then I wouldn't worry too much.............unless it's really bugging you
Old 30-Dec-2003, 22:44
500SD

my 748 does exactly the same thing, have pulled to a stop with engine on tickover, in neutral and then the revs just die like the bikes gonna stall for a split second then picks up again just as fast as it went down. mentioned it to the mechanic at parkinsons on a recent service and he said its nothing to worry about......
Old 31-Dec-2003, 08:39
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Sell on Jono and get yourself a Nonda!
The tick over like sewing machines!
Old 31-Dec-2003, 09:03

Mood: covered in horse poo
rcgbob44
Thats funny my Nonda sp1 (that ive just sold to move back onto a Ducati 999) used to cut out just the same. Apparantly there renowned for it what with the crap low rev snatching a the throttle it was the most fun ive ever had on a honda.
bl**dy fast tho.
Old 31-Dec-2003, 10:28
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Redtrev

There`s an underlying trend here! I hate to say it but these V twin machines are looking decidedly dodgy, I just can`t see them catching on or achieving any sporting success with problems like that!!!!!
Old 01-Jan-2004, 12:21
Mille

Mood: Either bemused or indifferent
Just a thought but if twins have just two big pistons to crank over thus lots of compression why oh why do they have such weedy batteries! I could leave my Honda for months and it would start no probs. The Ducati however if left for a couple of weeks cranks over once and just clicks the solenoid!!!!
Old 01-Jan-2004, 13:00
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.

My 853 does this too. At tick over when im at traffic lights. It just feels like its going to stall for a split second then clears. It runs just fine out on the road, real smooth and revy. My old TL1000s did this too.

I thought that it might just be a big v twin type thing.
Old 03-Jan-2004, 19:50

Thanks for replys

Thanks for your replys and tips on the tick over thing. I think I can sleep a bit better at nights now knowing I am not the only one who has come across this.

Johno