Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Dec-2003, 10:19
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Rear Wheel / Exhaust clearance?

There seems to be very little clearance between my rear wheel and the exhaust system midpoint connectors - (at about 3 o'clock if viewed fron the RHS) so little that I've burnt the tyrewarmers when putting them on after a track session. There is at best only 5mm with the tyrewarmers on.

I'm running a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket and standard length chain, so the wheel should be further back than standard anyway!!

Is this normal? Jon's 996R seemed to suffer similarly (although with standard gearing), but when I checked a 748, there was loads of room - there cant be that much diff between a 50mm and 45mm system!!!

Whilst fitting a longer mag swingarm would be great - I can't justify this, but I may look at a 54mm system, but not if the problem will get worse!!

What's my option, fit another chain link?

Tim
Old 17-Dec-2003, 10:33
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Lengthening the chain is the easiest option Tim........and the cheapest.
I run a 96 link to push the rear wheel back a little. Suppose to stabalise the bike a little??? Thought I'd try it
Old 17-Dec-2003, 11:12
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Sounds about your only option, I did notice on the ETI bikes this year that they fitted a temporary heatshield, which clipped to the pipes near the rearset, and a aluminium plate sat between the pipes and tyrewarmers, if that's any help
Old 17-Dec-2003, 13:50
WSB Hero

Thanks guys.....

.....the only other temporary thing I was looking at was to stick some heat resistant tape all around the tyrewarmer - its burnt a few holes in it, so it needs some kind of repair anyway.

Tim
Old 17-Dec-2003, 21:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Whilst fitting a longer mag swingarm would be great - I can't justify this, but I may look at a 54mm system, but not if the problem will get worse!!
Tim

Tim how can you not justify a mag arm that improves traction and weight bias as per all proper Ducati race bikes, but you can justify a 54mm exhaust.
With the standard arm running certain gearing I do tend to singe the tyre warmers, doesn't help having the 54mm exhaust but both of the Dukes I have next year will have the longer swingarms, the 998 engined bike may have to settle for a 50mm system for now but will be sourcing a 54mm when the TT bike is sorted and funds allow.
Old 17-Dec-2003, 21:33
WSB Hero

Fair point, but.....

...the swingarms are around £2K, 54mm systems are around £1K! (unless of course you know differently).

At Almeria the Duke was not lacking corner speed / stability / traction against the big Gixxers etc (although I was!!), but I was definitely losing out on top speed.

I could fix this (or at least narrow this) with a 54mm system I reckon. - is this fair?

But I take your point and will do some investigation into mag swingarms.

Thanks
Tim
Old 17-Dec-2003, 21:50
Dibble

Tim,

Why didnt u just buy a decent 996 to start with ..????
Old 17-Dec-2003, 22:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Tim, Dibble's right, you know. There are some nice RS bikes floating about. They eat gixers and R1's for breakfast!
Old 18-Dec-2003, 09:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Tim, its either Tecmoto or Casoli that do a mag arm for about £1250 complete with new rocker, both places do them but one is cheaper than the other. One of my arms is a standard arm that was lengthened by Spondon, by use of a bit out of another standard arm. Not sure if they still offer this service, they originally did a batch of around 60 of them, a few went to Ray Stringer for his bikes when he was Steve Hislops team mate in the Devimead Ducati Superbike team as Stringer raced a highly modified SP where as Hislop had a full 955 Corse .
The other arm came from Pro Twins second hand at £1200 and is a genuine Ducati RS one.. Worth giving them a shout and see if they can come up with one for you. I think KJ Performance may also have the odd 2nd hand one in if I read their MCN advert right.
Old 18-Dec-2003, 09:11
WSB Hero

Don\'t start me off!!!!

......my thoughts are its the maintenance of the RS's that would cause the biggest headache for me.

Are these not highly strung thoroughbreds that need a complete engine rebuild every time you look at them?

For the amount of maint I think she'd need, I'd have to move closer to Nelly or AJR, to cut down on travel expenses!!!

The 996R is the ultimate road-going version of a Ducati IMHO and I want to enhance and improve on that, and still be able to stick a brake light on her and take her out for occasional road outings for DSC meets etc.

Tim