Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-May-2011, 20:26
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 848spence
Well looks like i'll pick up my new bike in next few weeks,so few trackdays and maybe first race cadwell. See you there.

wahoo good man
Old 08-May-2011, 20:27
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Not even sure I'd go that much quicker with an 848!!

Think that's the same for lots of people and also the reason why we can do ok on trackdays with the big bikes.

Generally the average Joe on his 848 will only outgun me on the straight and by that I mean once the rider is upright enough to feel safe to get the power on. Similarly from a far greater top speed the rider puts on the brakes earlier than I and more progressively.

So it's not necessarily that I am a cornering god that I stay with them all session but their corner entry speed is slower, after all that braking progressively through fear of leaving it too late or asking too much of the front and wasking out.
Then they get on the power later as the belief is cranking it open early is a highside in the making.

Simply put they are only quicker on the middle section of any straight. In my opinion being a racer today on bigger bikes 100bhp+ involves a delicate skill and judgement to crank on the throttle early and help the bike deal with the power and at the other end slam on the stoppers hard initially (get the unsettling of the bike/fork out the way while upright) and then let the bite taper off (releasing the fork slightly) to give exactly the right entry speed at exactly the point you are heading in the corner.

On both sides too early late will ask too much of the tyres and suspension and the Marshalls will be picking up the pieces.
I only feel like this on a DD bike in the wet. I noticed at Mallory that I could be pretty ham fisted and the SS and the 53bhp Is not out to assassinate you a la 1098 racer!
Old 08-May-2011, 20:27
Bikes: SS600 & a couple of classic japs

Mood: mines always good its the rest of 'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by 848spence
Well looks like i'll pick up my new bike in next few weeks,so few trackdays and maybe first race cadwell. See you there.

I am planning a trip to watch the guys at Angelsey are you planning to go there?
Old 09-May-2011, 10:25
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
The rules should be simple, keep it cheap and keep it cheerful.

They're the reasons 90% of us joined the series. I ain't got JHP's knowledge or Bill Gate's bank balance so whatever happens keep class B the same. As Bradders made clear, if it ain't broke don't try an fix it.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 09-May-2011, 11:43
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72
The rules should be simple, keep it cheap and keep it cheerful.

They're the reasons 90% of us joined the series. I ain't got JHP's knowledge or Bill Gate's bank balance so whatever happens keep class B the same. As Bradders made clear, if it ain't broke don't try an fix it.

I agree, what I think is class B should stay exactly how it is but that class A should be a definite step up / forward. Be a novice in class b a couple of years, get a taste for racing but are too scared/poor for 848 then move into Class A, which I propose to be a 696 cup. I think that 620 and 695 should be eligible but advanced tuning is allowed up to the 696 stock quoted figure.

I don't think power/weight is such a good idea. It's too messy and too much effort. The 695 has the same engine in the older chasis so is cheaper but I think that we should encourage buying the 696 for a one make cup that Ducati might take an interest in.

Those who do class B a couple of years can and want to move up can save up a bit extra and get the later bike but with same entrance fees? The amount peeps spend on powder coating, painting new updated parts at tge end of each season it wouldn't be much more.

Anyone like the sound of a proper 696 cup?

Last edited by Simps : 09-May-2011 at 11:52.
Old 09-May-2011, 12:02
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
IThose who do class B a couple of years can and want to move up can save up a bit extra and get the later bike but with same entrance fees? The amount peeps spend on powder coating, painting new updated parts at tge end of each season it wouldn't be much more.

but they would want to do that to a 696 too

must admit I am amazed at the lack of 620 race bieks out there. At one time, it almost had a full grid of its own, and I'm sure in the eraly days there were easily as many A as B, or at least very close. Seems the last 3 years it has fallen off pretty sharply, whereby I think Brands had 7.

Anyone have any concreet ideas why? Maybe we all promote B class because its what most of us race and is fuller? Could simply finding some bikes (!) and promoting A be the way forward? Still a good novice class when you compare to even 400s racing
Old 09-May-2011, 16:08
Big Twin

This topic of updating DD has been debated so many times my own thread on the matter last year gained over a hundred replies.

I for one would not be prepared to go and spend 5k on a 696 to do exactly the same racing. I really do not think DD needs updating in a way that means you have to spend wads of cash. It is meant to be budget racing so lets keep within those guide lines.

The subject of wets/warmers will always raise it's head as many people I have spoken with who show some intrest in DD are put off by the lack of this choice.

What does it matter if there are 7 or 70 A bikes on the grid?

Can we just get on with racing please.
Old 09-May-2011, 16:54
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
What does it matter if there are 7 or 70 A bikes on the grid?

if we could get 20 then maybe we can have seperate grids again, plus surely its better to be a champion of 20 than 10 riders (not that I'm in that catergory)

agree with the rest though. Changes recently means suspension is now more adjustable, but the challenge isnt really whats is the bike in A class as such, its getting those in B to move and/or new entrants to go straight into A

and less than 3 weeks now big balls
Old 09-May-2011, 17:15
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
but the challenge isnt really whats is the bike in A class as such, its getting those in B to move and/or new entrants to go straight into A

You would have to look back through the years to see how many people went from B to A, and how many came in from other racing.

Class A could do with a few more riders.

Actually does it really matter if there are only 6 riders in A providing they are having a good time and combined we have a healthy grid???

Mark
Old 09-May-2011, 17:24
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1

I for one would not be prepared to go and spend 5k on a 696 to do exactly the same racing. I really do not think DD needs updating in a way that means you have to spend wads of cash. It is meant to be budget racing so lets keep within those guide lines.
effectively you have been there and done it (just on a 620) and you joined in when numbers were good. Now, interest is dropping off for A.... I certainly would rather stay in B than go to a 620. However, if we went to a 696 (with an extra 30hp rather than 15hp), with a slightly higher profile, I would start looking for a bike now..... One that could also be competitive in mini twins.

Warmers or not I would be there.