Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Dec-2003, 18:54
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Errmm Help!!!!

got the pipes off without to much trouble but the 45-50 ones that came with the pipes (i have cleaned the ends up and smeared copaslip on them but they either are a very very tight fit or they ain't going to fit would it help to take the subframe off ?? (that looks pretty daunting to me ) and is the use of a rubber mallet in order ??.

wish i hadn't started this now
Old 12-Dec-2003, 19:52
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
nige take the pipes off again and make sure they fit together first!! can be very akward mav
Old 12-Dec-2003, 19:57
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
If you have an 02 bike or later you may find that your header pipes are the same diameter as the ballance pipes, result, the ballance pipe won't fit!

I had this problem and the only way out was to get a set of pre 02 header pipes.
Old 12-Dec-2003, 20:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Nigel, you should see quickly whether they are the same diameter. If they look like they'll go together, make sure you're not doing this in your near zero degree garage. Take the cans inside, heat the ends with a hair dryer, use copaslip and it should go.
Old 12-Dec-2003, 20:46
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Yep, they are a real pain to get back on again!

What I found was that if they weren't lined up just right, then no amount of banging would get them back together properly.

You'll need to offer it all up and wiggle it all until it just seems to magically slot into place.
Old 12-Dec-2003, 22:16
Dibble

Rattlers going to love this thread, it will bring back such good memories for him .. lol

Good luck NigelC....
Old 13-Dec-2003, 10:51
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello NigelC.

When putting my pipes together I found that working from the crank put all together that you can. So all you have left are the end pipes in my case termmi's undo the rear two bolts of the sub frame this will make things easyer. Lift up the sub frame and at right angles to the bike attatch the end pipes then swing them around into position not forgetting the baffle clips.

Hope this is of some help if all goes well you should not need to hit any thing, the most common mistake is getting the right end pipe on the right down pipe..

I hope I have made myself clear if not do a search this topic has been covered before.

regards

TopiToo
Old 13-Dec-2003, 12:30
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
Hi Nige,
these were a tight fit on my bike,i think i fitted the left hand one first,then the right hand one,it will help if you undo subframe but they fitted on mine without doing that.Make sure the inside of the original pipe work is really clean no carbon/rust build-up,use a screwdriver to clean it up.
Old 13-Dec-2003, 16:35
Big Twin

pete are the links pipes 45 to 50mm ?? measured the inside diameter and it is 45mm the outside diameter of my collector pipes is 45mm cleaned up all the pipes with emery cloth and autosol and they are sparkly clean i think maybe the connection between the link pipes and collector pipes on a bip are different to a 748r ?? i'll post a couple of pics of how far i got the pipes on .
bike is back to standard now it only took 10 mins to get the original pipes on they just slipped on nicely so i think something is amiss somewhere
Old 13-Dec-2003, 16:49
Big Twin

can't get them on the rear at all

and only partially on to the front