Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-May-2006, 22:22
Bevel Head

modify a 749 or trade up for a 749R?

What's the general thoughts of people in the know about either trading my 749s in for a 749R or alternatively to just get my 749s tuned by somewhere like JHP?

Reason for my asking is that i go riding with a friend that is definately a slower rider than myself, but no matter how many times I catch him on the brakes and in the bends, his old blade always manages to pull away from me out of the corners if there's no room for me to pass. I had thought of changing to a 999, but i'm turning agains that idea at the moment, since I quite like the handling of the 749, and those with more knowledge on here seem to suggest that the bigger capacity bikes aren't as good for cornering as the 74* series. ( I could be mistaken, and welcome corrections).
But if what I said is true, then i'd just like that bit more torque/power just to try and help reduce the advantage that my friend seems to have with his '98 (i think) blade.

Obviously I know the best way to become quicker is to get some tuition and practice, but this is being considered also...
Old 22-May-2006, 22:27
500SD

Dude buy a 999
Old 22-May-2006, 22:27
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by spartacus
I had thought of changing to a 999, but i'm turning agains that idea at the moment, since I quite like the handling of the 749, and those with more knowledge on here seem to suggest that the bigger capacity bikes aren't as good for cornering as the 74* series. ( I could be mistaken, and welcome corrections).
Complete nonsence,the only differance is the size of the rear tyre.Easily remedied by fitting a 180 tyre on the back of a 999.
Go for the bigger 'un!
Old 22-May-2006, 22:35
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Before you go throwing serious amounts of money around try going up 2 or 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. You will sacrifice top end, but, will pull stronger out of corners. Just keep it reving and change up quickly.

Alternatively, arrive 1 minute behind your mate and enjoy the looks from the public as they walk past your mates old plastic fantastic to look at your gorgeous Ducati.
Old 22-May-2006, 22:38
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
Before you go throwing serious amounts of money around try going up 2 or 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. You will sacrifice top end, but, will pull stronger out of corners. Just keep it reving and change up quickly.

Alternatively, arrive 1 minute behind your mate and enjoy the looks from the public as they walk past your mates old plastic fantastic to look at your gorgeous Ducati.

I have already done both, and both are imensely satisfying
Old 22-May-2006, 22:43
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I have gone 748 to 996...much easier to keep up.......main difference will be how much you can crack the throttle open on a bigger bike..bit more scary with the extra power & bit more caution needed but the extra drive is incredible
Old 22-May-2006, 22:51
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by spartacus

and those with more knowledge on here seem to suggest that the bigger capacity bikes aren't as good for cornering as the 74* series. ( I could be mistaken, and welcome corrections).

Whilst I ride a 749 and love the handling, I have had a 999 and it is a much quicker bike. As for the handling on the 999, just as good as the 749 ... I think the diference is the fact that you arrive at corners 30mph faster and can be more of a handful when coming out of corners. That's what I found anyway.
Old 23-May-2006, 11:44
888 at Last !!!

Trade up for a 749R
Old 23-May-2006, 12:20
Mille

Just came back from le mans on my 749r and we did all the B roads and well worth it, in the group there was a gixer1000, new blade and r1 and a few 600,s exciting bends as long as i was just on peak power the 749r pulled like a train and thay all said thay had props trying to get past me and i aint no troy bayliss. i have modyfied mine with a big system and power commander and i have seen 170mph twice on my clock so my opinion is the 749r its awsom, and the looks it got in le mans was very pleasing people just didnt bother looking at my mates bikes sometimes.
Old 23-May-2006, 13:57
Mille

Mood: Beige.....
At the end of the day, no matter what upgrades you make to your "S" it won't have the "R" engine in it. That's the 'meat and potatoes' of the "R" - it's got the higher compression engine with shorter stroke, bigger bore.