Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 10-Jan-2005, 18:41
Big Twin

OK...just had a look at the bios options and I see what you mean.

Right then...15 minutes then its destruction time LOL

I 'ate pooters!

I may be some time...
Old 10-Jan-2005, 21:49
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Quote form Harv "Right then...15 minutes then its destruction time LOL

I 'ate pooters!

I may be some time..." Unquote

I hate to say it but Harv has been a likkle while
He's not done a Capt Oates, has he???????????
Harv, where for art thou'
hopin upon the gods you gottit fixed
bestest luck
mort a complete PC dumbo
Old 11-Jan-2005, 01:46
Big Twin

Well, I've successfully installed the new drive, windows and the drivers for my graphics and sound cards etc...so i think thats the worst of it gone now. Quite suprised how smoothly it went!

But I'm now trying to get the PC back on-line with the rest of the home network. The PC in question is part of a home office network consisting of 5 other MACs and then the PC on its own, connected to a wireless router. I don't seem to be able to get the PC to pick up the router at the moment...I'm sure its something silly...but its a little annoying. It doesn't appear to be seeing the wireless card or accepting the driver I'm trying to install. Gonna remove both and try again.

HoHum!
Old 11-Jan-2005, 09:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Missed this one Harv,

You could have done what I did and put the new drive (120Gb in my case) in alongside (more likely above or below in tower systems) the existing one. I have all my programs etc on my 'old' 40Gb drive.

All my data, pics and videos are on the new 'D' drive out of the way. I did have to download a firmware program from the website of the drive manufacturer for Windows XP to recognise it but once that was run, everything worked fine. 40gb is master and the 120Gb is the slave.
Old 11-Jan-2005, 11:41
Big Twin

Thought about that option Guy...but the old drive was sooooo full of 'suff' that it was more trouble than it was worth...and I don't have the computer 'know how' or the will to try

Now got the netgear sorted...so I'm pretty much there.

One more thing...now I have this nice clean system free of any spyware/viruses/trojens etc. whats the best software out there to keep it that way? I spend far too much time surfing so my system is subjected to just about anything out there.

I've already downloaded the free AVG software, but I had this on my last drive and it didn't block everything. I'm quite willing to pay for a piece of software if I know its going to block the lot and is the business. Do I need more than one, i.e. one for viruses and one for spyware/pop-ups etc?

Recommendations anyone?
Old 11-Jan-2005, 12:02
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Spybot is what I use for spyware, regular updates, and never get any probs from that, XP SP2 will stop quite a few if you haven't already got that installed, some people say it's caused more issues than without it, but no problems when I installed it, and I'd imagine it should go on no problem and a fresh/clean system.