Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 25-Mar-2009, 22:29
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Brilliant stuff look forward to seeing it. I had 1kg difference front to back split so very neutral, untill I get on it.
Old 26-Mar-2009, 00:02
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I am proposing we try and arrange it for either Sunday Morning or Sunday Lunchtime (what would people prefer)

Kev, fwiw I'd prefer Saturday after qual, as Sunday I will be away from the track with family until our evening race.
Old 26-Mar-2009, 10:59
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Guy, we will have to see how Saturday goes, with changes o the bike and not having raced the GP circuit I will probably be working on the bike after Qually, possibly changing gearing and suspension setup, but may be still have enough time to weigh a couple of bikes.
Ideally would like to do it in the Scrutineering bay and only really want to set up once but if the part of the paddock I end up in allows the odd bike to be checked it may be possible to do a couple Saturday

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 26-Mar-2009, 12:24
Big Twin

Mood: i'm a grey dude...
hows does this work then? one wheel on 1 scales, one wheel on other scales and add the 2 figures together?
Old 26-Mar-2009, 12:42
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty
hows does this work then? one wheel on 1 scales, one wheel on other scales and add the 2 figures together?

Basically, yes.

If you think about it, you can't have the same weight on two scales at the same time ... it doesn't magically appear from nowhere and disappear once you take the bike off. It's the same principle that two guys lifting a heavy box makes it easier than one guy on his own!

Mark borrowed a set of car scales from work once and we measured mine on it to see what the weight bias was like with a plan to adjusting the suspension to see how it changed the bias.

I'll see if I can dig the pic out...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 26-Mar-2009, 12:45
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Here we go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	weigh_1.jpg Views:	95 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	10499  Click image for larger version Name:	weigh_2.jpg Views:	104 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	10500  

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 26-Mar-2009, 13:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Corner weight scales........hmmm you can have hours of endless fun messing up suspension settings with them. Usually done with the driver etc on board

Not seen much overt measurement of similar techniques (with the obvious differences due to one pair of wheels less!!) in bike racing?

Maybe front rear weight bias tuning with the rider on board is done behind closed garage doors?

Ray
Old 26-Mar-2009, 13:25
MotoGP God

MOT stations do it slightly different as in they only use one set of scales, these are usually set into the floor so that they are the same height as the floor. Then they wheel the front wheel on take a reading then the rear wheel and take a second reading and them add them together.
When using a single set of scales it is important to have them level with the surface the other wheel is sat on other wise you could be adding a bias to the process, if the scales are set lower then the bike will read over its true weight and if they are set higher it will come in lighter than it really is.

A set of scale under each wheel eliminates this chance of error.
Using two scales dead flat will also give you the weight bias of the bike and if you raise one set a known height above the other the figures can be used to calculate the bikes centre of gravity (CoG)

Old 26-Mar-2009, 18:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
MOT stations do it slightly different as in they only use one set of scales, these are usually set into the floor so that they are the same height as the floor. Then they wheel the front wheel on take a reading then the rear wheel and take a second reading and them add them together.
When using a single set of scales it is important to have them level with the surface the other wheel is sat on other wise you could be adding a bias to the process, if the scales are set lower then the bike will read over its true weight and if they are set higher it will come in lighter than it really is.

A set of scale under each wheel eliminates this chance of error.
Using two scales dead flat will also give you the weight bias of the bike and if you raise one set a known height above the other the figures can be used to calculate the bikes centre of gravity (CoG)

Only in the X direction the Z direction is quite complex.
Old 30-Mar-2009, 09:41
MotoGP God

Thanks to everybody that took part
There was certainly a wide range of bike weights, 7 Class A bikes were weighed long with 20 Class B bikes, two classics, a 1098 and Sam West's M600 standard road bike.
Class A ranged from 183kg down to 156.1kg with Steve41 taking the bottle of bubbly for the lightest.
Class B ranged from 186.7kg down to 157.6kg, with Dallas having the lightest bike in class and Rosco572 taking the prize for heaviest overall.

Other bikes weighed

Sam's 600 Monster road bike 187.6kg
1098 race bike 170kg
Classic Lansdowne Racer 138.8kg

After the weigh in I stuck my bike on the Dyno (at a cost of £25) where it recorded all of 55bhp and with its weight of 173kg I have quite a lot of work to do if I ever want it to be a competitive