Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:00
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Still no resolution from Ducati...

Just thought I'd update you guys about my accident. The factory and Brembo are still analysing my brakes and preparing their report (5 weeks after having the parts in Italy). Ducati UK have offered to replace the parts removed from my bike (callipers/discs/lines/master cylinder) as a 'goodwill gesture', so my insurers can then repair the accident damage. I've declined as the resale value of my bike with a £5000+ insurance payout recorded against it will be peanuts. I've also already lost my no-claims bonus, and I don't see why I should stump up for a massively inflated insurance premium while the 'investigation' trundles on. I've also had other accident related costs too.

I wish I'd never bought the bloody thing in the first place now. I thought buying a prestige marque was worth something? Obviously not
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:03
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
This is a real bummer, I really do sympathise and I guess Ducati have their reasons. But it could of been anyone on any bike at the end of the day, not just a Ducati.

Ultimately it's just another bike, like any other
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:09
Mille

Mood: red and proud !!!!
sorry to here your news... hope you get it sorted..

if your in dire straights i've got mine in garaged unused---see

b******s
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:17
888 at Last !!!

I'm sorry to hear that

If in the end they assume responsibility, don't forget to "charge" them all of that, but if they decline......... then you'll have a long road ahead to claim your rights.
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:20
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Twin Fan, I feel for you chap.

This has really gone on to long.

What was Ducati's response when you declined the offer and gave them the reasons as outlined in the top post?
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:34
Big Twin

Jobr - I was asked to detail all the reasons in an email, which I did, and I believe it was passed to the factory. Ducati UK thought it might help them see the size of the problem.

The thing is, how long does it take to look at a set of brakes, diagnose a problem, and write a report? Why have 2 other bikes with exactly the same problem been sorted? Simple. Because my bike needs replacing/fixing and no-one wants to pay. It stinks, and I'm losing out big time
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:41
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
TF, think you are probably right.

I know its far easier to say than do but stay positive and fight for what is right.

If in the end you have a nice gleaming 2005 bike you know you will enjoy it.
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:51
Big Twin

Here's hoping...
Old 27-Apr-2005, 11:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
It seems to me that there's a best case and worst case scenario, and both those scenarios are at the opposite end of the spectrum for each party.

Best case for you is if Ducati or Brembo put their hands up and admit that they have a faulty batch of components leaving Brembo's factory and being nailed onto Ducati 749/999's, they give you a replacement bike, compensate you for uninsured loss and bingo, you're one happy bunny. Trouble is that in admitting liability Ducati or Brembo are laying themselves wide open to class actions from around the world, they may have hundreds of claims to deal with (some of which may be bogus), they may even be blamed for loss of life. Brembo's business is based upon the confidence that many automotive companies (cars and bikes) place in the safety of their product and their reputation takes an almighty knock and possibly a drastic shift away from their product to Nissin or whowever. Ducati are just about laying the ghost of dubious reliability earned in the pre American ownership days, when along comes a fault that could possibly kill people, all at a time of falling bike sales. A PR and commercial disaster wouldn't you think?

Any reputable company would do there level best to face up to their responsibilities, but would you admit liability unless you had checked, checked and rechecked any dubious brakes, done some research around you dealer network about how prevalent this was, done some statistical analysis on where any remaining bikes might have been shipped and checked to see how many other manufacturers might have a claim against Brembo. Working for a large corporate, I can tell you 5 weeks is nothing to do that sort of work, and it takes a lot of resource and costs a lot of money just to investigate anything.

So best case for you=worst case for Ducati.

Worst case for you is that they find nothing wrong with the brakes (despite all the checking above), they find no evidence to suggest this is a brake epidemic. They could put it down to inadequate maintenance (corroded, ungreased pistons and pads can stick) or they may find nothing at all wrong and put it down to rider error, after all, they only have your word for the cause of the crash. I'm not doubting your honesty for one moment, but in the same way that insurance companies kick up a fuss the moment you make a claim, you can see that they'd want solid evidence of brake failure.

So worst case for you=best case for Ducati/Brembo

There are a large number of shades of grey between these two black and white examples, but you see what I'm saying?
Old 27-Apr-2005, 12:13
Big Twin

I see what you're saying Jools. However:

Quote:
They could put it down to inadequate maintenance (corroded, ungreased pistons and pads can stick)

Bike was 9 months old, had covered 1600 miles, and recieved it's 625 mile service as indicated in the Ducati service schedule. Any faults like the ones you suggest are either the dealer's fault at service time or the factory's fault at assembly time.

Quote:
Worst case for you is that they find nothing wrong with the brakes..........they may find nothing at all wrong and put it down to rider error, after all, they only have your word for the cause of the crash

So one brake disc turning blue and one staying silver is normal for a braking system under normal road use? Surely to prove there wasn't a fault with the braking system is going to be difficult?

[Edited on 27-4-2005 by Twinfan]