Ducati Sporting Club UK
Shazaams! Posts
Collected copies of Shazaams! Posts A variety of Technical issues are discussed in this forum. However, the Ducati Sporting Club or any authors cannot accept any liability for the accuracy or content of this section. Anyone attempting modifications on the basis of any information presented does so entirely at their own risk !

Old 20-May-2004, 16:06
Montjuic

Mood: p*$$ed off
Fabric under-leather suits?

Does anyone on here wear one of those fabric 1-piece suits under their leathers? I seem to remember seeing one (it might have been a "moisture wicking" type) that keeps you cool in summer. Any ideas? The weather has been getting a little bit Betty Swollocks recently!

Thanks,

Colin

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by eccles291]
Old 20-May-2004, 16:38
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i've got an 'extreme racing' undersuit meant to do the above but only used it twice, prefer just a t shirt etc.

its size large and if you want one you could have mine for a small sum.
Old 20-May-2004, 17:56
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
I just stick a t-shirt on too. Or if it's really hot I won't bother with a t-shirt even.
Old 20-May-2004, 19:56
Ducati Corse

I use a receka one,superb.
Old 21-May-2004, 10:43
Montjuic

Mood: p*$$ed off
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I use a receka one,superb.

How much was it and where did you get it from?

Ta
Old 21-May-2004, 16:52
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

For those of you that haven't heard about wearing CoolMax under your leather riding suits, you’re missing out for two reasons: cost and comfort.

When you wear a leather suit in hot weather you’re going to sweat in order to cool down. The problem is that if you wear cotton under your leathers, the cotton locally absorbs the moisture (until saturated) and holds it next to your skin while the leather absorbs it. You won’t be very comfortable when wet, and eventually the suit will begin to smell funky and need replacement from repeatedly absorbed perspiration.

If you wear a high-tech wicking fabric such as CoolMax under your leathers, the perspiration is transported away to vented areas where it can cool you by being evaporated away. So unlike cotton, it moves sweat away from warmer areas with low air flow (like your butt.)

In short, absorbent fabrics soak up moisture and hold on to it, wicking fabrics transfer moisture to drier areas, without getting saturated. This behavior allows the air flow at the suit openings and the perforations of vented suits to more quickly evaporate the moisture away - even from areas where there is no air flow. In addition, Coolmax has a silky texture that feels nice against your skin, and it’s somewhat slippery which makes it easier to climb in and out of leathers.

You can see this behavior after you wash it. When you hang it up, the water isn’t held, so the excess drips off quickly. The wicking action distribute the remaining water over the whole surface area, so it evaporates in a few minutes, unlike cotton which will stay moist for a much longer time.

Kushitani makes their inner suit out of CoolMax and Dainese supplies one with their top-of-the-line T-Age suits. Bohn makes one also.

Lightweight shirts, pants, underwear and socks made of Coolmax fabric are considered essential for tennis, golf, skiing, hiking and and cycling - so check your local shops first. There are other fabric materials that have similar wicking properties but Coolmax’s moisture management is superior.
Old 21-May-2004, 16:56
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Shazzam is always on the ball !!!

I sometimes use some Helly Hanson kit that I still have from my cycling days (or daze)....sports/outdoor shops occasionally sell em off cheap during summer.

Coolmax feels nice next to the skin of course
Old 22-May-2004, 01:31
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
use a Lusso under suit which is like the coolmax that God Shazaam mentiones.
It has a collar too so keeps the neck from being ****ted by flies which can sting over 30 mph!
Old 22-May-2004, 22:53

I have a few EDZ suits (1 piece and 2 piece) which do the job very well. Give you a bit of warmth in the cold. But when you start to sweat, they wick the sweat away into your leathers which cools you down.

Recommended :-)
Old 23-May-2004, 17:30
Big Twin

I too will vote for EDZ 1 Piece undersuits, been out today for 4 hours in the glorious summer sun, very comfortable

(Wife takes the p!$$ though)

Bought mine here

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages...+piece&cid=880