Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Apr-2012, 23:05
Bikes: 748 Monoposto 01

Mood: ?
Cold Duke

Hi Guys an Galls, first post here, so here goes....have had problem with cold engine temp since buying my 2001 748 Mono. Have read up on archive, but nowt that solves the prob. Bike was running around 60 deg. all the time, and only went to 80 after stopping on a long run with ign. on. Worried about overfueling due to ecu constantly detecting low temp. So, have just changed tstat, and with old one off, tested both in waterbowl with seperate w/shop temp sensor. Both started to open at 60 deg. and were fully open at 70 deg.
After swearing at buying unneccessary new tstat, i checked temp sender and gauge by removing and remotely wiring up in hot water, alongside other temp probe, and both were within 2 deg of each other. Refilled with 50/50 mix. Just rode home and temp stayed at 40-50. Call me picky, but would like temp to be 70/80 to get optimum operating temp, and lean running. OK, its still pretty coldish, but just doesnt make sense. Does the engine run so cold that coolant cant get over 60 deg? Any help/ideas wd be great thanks, Benjie.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 14:55

bit Marie Cileste here :-( Well, have decided to modify tstat. have removed plastic stop for pushrod of the valve...have replaced it with brass bar and threaded m5 bolt ad nyloc locknut. Now adjusting it to start opening at 75 deg...will post results if any interest.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 15:13
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Are you purely basing your findings on riding the bike at the moment?

I noticed that the temp guage on my Hypermotard usually reads around 100 deg during the summer months, but when it's cold in the winter it is normally around 85-90deg. This week it has been reading 74deg in the mornings!

Maybe your bike isn't overcooling via the cooling system, it's just damn cold?!!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 18-Apr-2012, 16:52

Cheers fer replying motoG have factored in low temps, but during accurate tests, the tstat was uppenin at 60 deg, so am trying to get bike to stabilise at 75-80 deg by tstat, and also possible relocation of temp sender to gauge as it looks on wrong side of horizontal top outlet, so was wondering if it wasnt fully in flow till tstat opened and flow diverted to rad...not sure yet but gonna carry on in quest for decent temp
Old 18-Apr-2012, 17:13
Big Twin

Faulty gauge? Prior to selling my 748s the gauge could be stable for a while and then go up and down between 40 and 180 while riding. Fan always kicked in so I never let it bother me.
Try and borrow another gauge or strap on and external thermometer.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 18:07
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Can't help much with your temperature problem - mine has always run very high, and the fan never seems to cut in, which makes getting stuck in traffic interesting...

But - glad to see you got your registration sorted and can now post - welcome

Martin
Old 18-Apr-2012, 18:42
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS
But - glad to see you got your registration sorted and can now post - welcome

*penny drops*

Ah yes, welcome to the forum - the confirmation email must have arrived this time!!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 18-Apr-2012, 20:17

thanks guys...yees can post now....yay! Well, remotely wired up sensor in a kettle with ign. on and also with seperate t/c wired meter as control. Both went nicely up to 100 deg. so discounting gauge fault. Have tuned thermostat to open from 75 deg to 80 deg, so will fit and try as son as have w/shop time. If it keeps needle nicely around 80, means Ducatis supplier of tstats is making them to open too low. We see.
Old 01-May-2012, 15:12

Fitted tuned thermostat last night and sat between 75 and 80 degrees...perfect...sure stock thermostats are set too low.