Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Feb-2004, 19:26
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
S4R race systems

Further to the recent thread about the Arrow systems (look like really lovely pipes by the way) what else is on the market? I'm after full-bore 54/57mm factory header type systems for the authentic NOISE and a bit of performance boost too.
Old 29-Feb-2004, 23:00
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
As you probably know, all of the Termis for the S4R are not yet available from Ducati. And they don't when they will be. Sometime this year, maybe.

As far as I know, Silmotor makes a system for them. Check with Spareshack. Spareshack also has a header system that eliminates the cat, but this doesn't with at all. We've tried it. Obviously, they hadn't!

The only other option to consider (and we did as well) is to use the header pipes from a 996R or similar, a real 57 mm race system and then use a good fabricator to finish the rest of the system. But, these header pipes are very expensive and then you still need to do a lost of work to get a full system.

To be honest, I think the Arrow system is very well suited and has room left for engine tuning. And with the removable baffles taken out, it sounds VERY nice.
Old 05-May-2004, 20:31

Felix, not sure why the pipework didn't fit your bike but as soon as we got it back it went straight out with no comeback so I'd assume it was down to an inconsistency with the way particular bikes are put together at the factory, an issue that affects one or two other products also...

Anyway, we have various exhaust options for the S4R and we have Ducati Performance silencers in stock but in my opinion the Sil Motor is the best option for out and out performance as it comes with oversized pipework (48 or 50mm). Full details on the spareshack.com site or feel free to contact me directly...

Cheers
Stuart
Old 05-May-2004, 21:06
Ducati Corse

Welcome Stuart ..

.. pleased that you've joined the board.
Old 24-May-2004, 19:28
Ducati Meccanica

I only have one data point. A friend of mine fitted one of these to his S4R. He didn't change the air filter, air box, or mapping. The bike runs just fine, so I guess no other changes are strictly needed. However, a day spent at a dyno, with the ability to remap the ECU would unleash a few more horses. But oh the noise...!!
Old 24-May-2004, 19:52
Big Twin

HM over in Orpington are probably the best dyno centre in the M25, its a bit of a trek but definitely worth it!

If you're gonna sell out 600+ on pipes it seems a bit daft not to buy a new filter and remap
Old 24-May-2004, 22:44
Ducati Meccanica

Well, for a start, I don't think the standard ECU on the S4R is remappable. You need to buy a new ECU, which is more expensive than the exhaust system. Without that bit, spending time on a dyno only tells how it performs but doesn't let you make any improvements. Yes, you can change the airfilter, but it won't make much of a difference if at all. So, unless you get the programmable ECU, I wouldn't bother with the dyno. Run it the way it is with the new exhaust until it's run in, then think about tuning it further.

You might want to check with these guys to see if their new ECU also works on the S4R. Give Neil Spalding at Sigma a ring.

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by Felix]
Old 25-May-2004, 09:40
500SD

Mood: Not sure
You might want to look around this site, they have put up a video of an S4r with Arrow system and it sounds really nice (must resist, have to save up ) Might be some dyno graphs somewhere on there too.
Nice Blue Monster

Darren

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by LesPaul]
Old 29-May-2004, 02:40

What about ARROW full system and a Power commander?