Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2003, 22:35
500SD
Bikes: 900 Monster, 750 SS Cafe Racer

748 into M600

I have figured out most of the problems in putting a 748 motor into my Monster! I was just wondering about clearance under the tank? Do i have to go and get a S4 tank or will mine fit it under? Any help would be thankfully received.

All the other bits have been planned for, the radiators are going to be mounted in side mounted intakes, smaller than an SP2's (I think). exhausts are going to be routed to fit the standard low- level zorsts i have. All i need is a larger rear rim!!! .... Yorkie.
Old 24-May-2003, 23:05
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Jeez, Yorkie. I thought something was cookin' with you asking abut the SPS motor........good luck to ya mate
I think the S4 frame is a different beast to your M600 one. Not sure how this will affect the under tank issues to be honest.
The S4 tank may not even fit???
Can't profess to knowing much about this conversion but I thought the rear of the 4 valve casings, where the swingarm pivot goes thru', was wider than the the M600??? Will your swingarm fit?
Anyhow, if you're ever struggling or need the odd part or two, give us a shout. If I can help, I'd be happy to
Old 24-May-2003, 23:21
500SD

Nelly it is actually 2" to narrow so im going to have to use spacers so my swing arm will fit!! The engine matches up perfectly ... cheers for the offer of help!!! .... Yorkie.
Old 24-May-2003, 23:44
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
that is a surprise, but good for the swap I guess.
Just had a thought though..........
It's too late to even contemplate the pluses and minuses, but have you considered carbs on the 4V motor.
Can't think of a particularly good reason other than getting around the under tank issues and possibly some electrical work????
You may have it covered, but isn't the battery going to be somewhere close to the 4V rocker cover and exhaust to?
Old 25-May-2003, 00:05
500SD

On the 748 It fits to the side of the engine i think, that is where mine is going, either that or a thinner battery! As for the carbs they shouldn't be a problem, im not fitting an air box, just bell mouths and Piper X sock air filters!!!!! ..... Yorkie.
Old 27-May-2003, 11:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Yorkie - go on the ukmoc site - this has been done by Grunter earlier this year - and he needed an injection tank.
Also drastic mods to the pipework too.
Al is putting in a 900ss into his M600 (with a 748 single sider & 998 forks etc)
Have fun!!
Old 27-May-2003, 16:11
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Did'nt Baines Racing fit carbs to an 888 racer? I think it was to get round some daft Battle of the Twins rule.
I would say that carbs are the way to go.The Monster uses a vacuum fuel pump,therefore the tank would need some major work on it to fit the fuel injection pump and gubbins in there.Then where to site the CPU.....topbox anybody?
Good luck on your project mate,cant wait to see it when its done!
Old 27-May-2003, 17:18
500SD

Ck, thanks mate!!

Keefyboy, Thats for the mechanic to worry about!!!! I'd only brake it trying to make it fit!!!! .... Yorkie.
Old 29-May-2003, 23:34

600 to 748

yorkie
use an s4 battery and airbox, you will need to check that measurement rear of engine i think its only 34mm difference, you need different rectifier ecu-748 chip not 9** chips no good, and need to hack frame to allow injectors to fit engine
have a look at mods on my other website
www.ukmonster.20m.com
vtech pages
yours
grunt
Old 30-May-2003, 16:44
500SD

Grunter, Thanks for the E-mither as well this info will hopefully speed up the instillation!!!! .... Yorkie.