Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 02-Dec-2009, 15:20
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Desmo Due tyres for 2010

Well, I realise that there has been a lot of speculation on this subject, but we have finally been able to complete the necessary tests and reach a decision about tyres for 2010.

It would appear that we cannot have a guarentee of supply of Diablos for 2010, so we need to change the tyre for the series.

Given that there needs to be a change it was agreed by the RC that we should test a Pirelli replacement and perhaps two other options. So on Saturday Kev Ellis and Chris Pullen rocked up at Mallory for probably one of the worst days to do a trackday weather wise.

They then proceeded to test product from Pirelli, Bridgestone and Maxxis.

Having set a benchmark time on a set of Diablo's Kev then tried the new Pirelli Rosso, followed by the Bridgestone 003 and then finally the Maxxis. During these sessions the track became gradually dryer and speeds rose.

Having looked at the times, we also took tyre temperatures and particularly warm up times into account.

What does this mean:

3rd Place: - Maxxis - took 6 laps to start to warm up and give a proper level of grip, then on the pace. Stability/confidence level 4/10, appears to be designed for a bike with 130bhp+ that would work the carcass harder and generate more heat. Almost certainly needs to be used with warmers for DD bikes.

2nd Place: - Bridgestone - took 4/5 laps to build up enough heat to be able to start pushing. Stability/confidence 6/10, confirmed as more of a trackday tyre for 100bhp+. Again would do much better with warmers for DD bikes.

1st Place: - Pirelli Rosso - took 2 laps to generate enough heat to be able to start pushing them and lapped 3.5 sec faster than Diablo's despite conditions. Stability/confidence 7/10, construction of carcass and tread pattern well suited to 60bhp DD bike. Because of more road orentated construction does not need warmers for DD bikes.

Given the incremental cost of everyone having to buy warmers and a generator within the DD paddock, this is not a move that the RC wishes to maker the grid undertake. We beleive that it is better to stay with both being banned and controlling costs.

Accordingly the rules will be updated to show that the control tyre for 2010 will be the Diablo Rosso. However entrants will be allowed to use their existing Diablos for the 1st 3 rounds of the 2010 season.

We will be advising the fitted price from Holbeech shortly, but expect them to be similar to the 2009 price.
Old 02-Dec-2009, 17:19
Big Twin

Excellent news.

Thankyou.
Old 02-Dec-2009, 17:28
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
3.5 secs faster than Diablo's! that's more than the difference between slick's & wet's!!! so were the conditions better for the Rosso's?

Last edited by Chaz : 02-Dec-2009 at 17:34.
Old 02-Dec-2009, 17:58
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I should point out that the Diablo’s I used had already seen some use (3 race days) and part of the 3.5 seconds difference can probably be attributed to the Rossos having new sharp edges to the cut tread.

Not only did the Rossos warm up quicker than any of the other tyres, but under identical conditions with it still raining for the same lap times the temperature on returning to the paddock was 10 degrees C above that of the H rated Diablos and was the only set where I measured a higher front temperature than rear.

As well as my tyre testing Ady was out on Trouty’s old bike using Rossos and in the dry line session at the end of the day was lapping mainly in the 1m 06s bracket with the odd 1m 05s lap chucked in for good measure. He stuck with the Rossos all day and didn’t use warmers

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 02-Dec-2009, 18:02
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Great news.

Craig
Old 02-Dec-2009, 18:27
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I should point out that the Diablo’s I used had already seen some use (3 race days) and part of the 3.5 seconds difference can probably be attributed to the Rossos having new sharp edges to the cut tread.

Not only did the Rossos warm up quicker than any of the other tyres, but under identical conditions with it still raining for the same lap times the temperature on returning to the paddock was 10 degrees C above that of the H rated Diablos and was the only set where I measured a higher front temperature than rear.

As well as my tyre testing Ady was out on Trouty’s old bike using Rossos and in the dry line session at the end of the day was lapping mainly in the 1m 06s bracket with the odd 1m 05s lap chucked in for good measure. He stuck with the Rossos all day and didn’t use warmers

Not really a proper tyre test then! still it's good to have a decision.

Thanks Kev.
Old 02-Dec-2009, 18:41
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
Not really a proper tyre test then! still it's good to have a decision.

Thanks Kev.

Nigh on impossible to do a proper tyre test that day as the conditions were different nearly every session. With the first two sessions being run in the rain, track temperature never got above 2 degrees C all day.
First seesion done on the Diablos just to get me dialled in and get some sort of bench mark.
In the second session where I was 3.5 secs quicker on the Rossos than the old Diablos in the session before, it was still raining, puddles and little streams across the track everywhere but the confidence the Rossos gave you was unbelieverable so much so I was getting a bit over confident.
Still we were there to push the various tyres under what ever conditions and try and make a judgement so a decision could be made sooner rather than later on tyres for next season

Old 02-Dec-2009, 19:03
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
It is a shame that for many reasons the test had to be delayed, but Saturday was a stern test for all of the tyres and the rider. It is unlikely that we would race in such adverse conditions.

What was highlighted was the fact that the Pirelli products get up to temperature quickly with a DD bike running them. This is a major safety advantage for riders, if we have cold days.
Old 02-Dec-2009, 19:22
Montjuic

dissappointed you didn't test a suitable bridgestone, 003's are no use to our series, very happy about not using maxis though, could have told you they are pants before you got there
Old 02-Dec-2009, 19:41
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom
dissappointed you didn't test a suitable bridgestone, 003's are no use to our series, very happy about not using maxis though, could have told you they are pants before you got there

Tom I have no experience of recent Bridgestones and had no idea what the tyre I would be testing even looked like until I arrived at the circuit, let alone have any info on its suitability. Not helped by the fact I was told I would be testing a BT033 which I just couln't find on the net and thought maybe it was something new for 2010.
But its what Bridgestone thought we should test with a view to using it, maybe they didn't realise we don't use warmers and only have just over 60bhp available
Still thats what happens when you ask around to see if tyre companies can supply an alternative to the Diablos that we used for 5 seasons.