Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 03-Dec-2009, 11:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
blimey Antonye, you are a flash bugger ain't ya!

generator can be had for under 200 quid with a bit of shopping about. tyre warmers for 150 or less if second hand like most buy

glad the tyre issue is finally sorted though
Old 03-Dec-2009, 13:10
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily

generator can be had for under 200 quid with a bit of shopping about. tyre warmers for 150 or less if second hand like most buy

Sorry, but I was trying to be realistic as not everyone will find second-hand bargains and may not get the cheapest price either.

The point I was making was that:

1) you obviously can't "ban" generators from the track, it was just a misunderstanding due to their association with tyre warmers

2) spending out on tyre warmers and generators goes against the original concept of the DD series - ie, a BUDGET series - especially when you could end up spending just as much on tyre warmers and generator as some people paid for the bike to race on

I know it wasn't obvious that if you want/need tyre warmers then you'd also have to buy a generator, but it shows that just because you think something is going to cost you X, it doesn't necessarily mean that's how it ends up! Tyre warmers are cheap these days, but not everyone will buy cheap and not everyone buys just one either; some people/teams are running more than one bike!

The same goes for tuning options - just because it's "optional" doesn't mean that people won't spend out (and spend a lot!) on doing it, because it's in the rules. A good example was the issue with forks and cartridge kits from a while back; some people spent a *lot* of money having these fitted (and again, probably more than others paid for their bikes!) because they could afford to do it. Not everyone did, but because the interpretation of the rules was that you could - someone did.

This is why it's a great idea to not allow tuning in the DD series, as it's just too much of an opportunity for people to spend a lot of money getting the best out of their engine, and after all DD is an entry-level, budget race series and not World Superbikes!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 03-Dec-2009, 15:23
Mille

Quote:

glad the tyre issue is finally sorted though

Hey up Mrs! Where've you been hiding?

Are you going to do DD next year?
Old 03-Dec-2009, 18:00
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
For Sale:

200 x front and rear Maxxis tyres

Never raced or rallied.

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 03-Dec-2009, 19:03
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
For Sale:

200 x front and rear Maxxis tyres

Never raced or rallied.

Paul,

That is cruel!
Old 03-Dec-2009, 19:44
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Sorry, but I was trying to be realistic as not everyone will find second-hand bargains and may not get the cheapest price either.

The point I was making was that:

1) you obviously can't "ban" generators from the track, it was just a misunderstanding due to their association with tyre warmers

2) spending out on tyre warmers and generators goes against the original concept of the DD series - ie, a BUDGET series - especially when you could end up spending just as much on tyre warmers and generator as some people paid for the bike to race on

I know it wasn't obvious that if you want/need tyre warmers then you'd also have to buy a generator, but it shows that just because you think something is going to cost you X, it doesn't necessarily mean that's how it ends up! Tyre warmers are cheap these days, but not everyone will buy cheap and not everyone buys just one either; some people/teams are running more than one bike!

The same goes for tuning options - just because it's "optional" doesn't mean that people won't spend out (and spend a lot!) on doing it, because it's in the rules. A good example was the issue with forks and cartridge kits from a while back; some people spent a *lot* of money having these fitted (and again, probably more than others paid for their bikes!) because they could afford to do it. Not everyone did, but because the interpretation of the rules was that you could - someone did.

This is why it's a great idea to not allow tuning in the DD series, as it's just too much of an opportunity for people to spend a lot of money getting the best out of their engine, and after all DD is an entry-level, budget race series and not World Superbikes!

I was only having a laugh and trying to say it's not always that expensive. I will get back in my hole again
Old 03-Dec-2009, 20:15
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
I was only having a laugh and trying to say it's not always that expensive. I will get back in my hole again

Sorry, bit grumpy today!

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 03-Dec-2009, 23:43
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
If you honestly think that this was the intention, then you're beyond help

The point CB is trying to make is that *if* the series allowed tyre warmers then it would be fine if you were in a garage, otherwise you would need a genny to power them. You'd probably need one anyway at places where there was no electrical hook-up in the paddock, such as Mallory, Cadwell, Castle Coombe, etc.

Having to go out and buy tyre warmers and a genny (remember you need quire a powerful one to run the tyre warmers) would be touching £1,000 ... that's the same as some people paid for their bikes!

So the point was that tyre warmers (and thus the generator you need to run them) are banned from use in DD.

Perhaps you could just run that by me again, my degree isn't in literacy, so I'm not sure what you are saying. FFS
Old 04-Dec-2009, 09:09
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
As ever all of the detail that might be required is contained in the words of the response.

I thought it quite erudite!
Old 04-Dec-2009, 10:46
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

*bangs head on desk*