Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 20-Jun-2011, 13:13
Mille

Snetterton for me in bullet points

A very long weekend for me but with ultimately very little track time:
  • Up at 6am Friday and not at the track until 6pm. (Hire van clutch went on way up and had to be towed back to London etc etc.)
  • Trying to learn a 3 mile track in 3 lap practice
  • Having a rear tyre strangely squirming around in qually
  • KevP noticing I had a flat rear tyre in the holding area before race 1 (thanks mate!!)... explained the squirming around in qually!
  • Getting to watch the DD boys race in a monsoon from the pitwall. Have to congratuate all riders! I doubt I could do that. Also not sure quite how Ron went that fast in the wet but much respect from me for getting in the mix with the Class A quick boys.
  • 2nd attempt at learning the track on Sunday went much better as I got to follow Ron and Phil (now I can see why everyone wants to leave behind them in qually!)
  • Race 2 was more sucessful! Can't understand how KevP can start how he does. Plain Awesome!
  • Both Race 2 starts I kept the throttle pinned doing my best to hang off to get the bike turned around the corner and up into 1st of the class Bs which lasted a few laps on both occasions until Neil came flying past.
  • Very happy with my 2.24.2 fastest lap considering it was only about the 18th time I ever lapped the track. Think that was the 3rd fastest of the weekend with Bradders 1/2 sec faster and NeilC thinking he was on a Class A bike doing a 2.22?!?!?!
  • My race was far from perfect though! Made a huge rookie error trying to undertake Phil through Nelson / Bomb hole. Note to self: increased speed in a bend = increased centrifugal force! I went forwards but also out to the edge the track hitting Phil's front wheel with my rear. It could have been nasty and is totally my fault. I understand it caused Phil a moment and when he tried to recover Bradders was there next to him and Phil had to sit up and run onto the grass. (Sorry Phil for messing up your race mate, as I said it wasnt intentional but it was certainly my fault and I should have known better how the bike would react.)
  • Well done to Bradders for the win! I know some feel that you appear quite close to the limit with a few near misses (me included), but I was in awe of your corner speed and on the whole you kept it together. However, I am dissapointed I didnt overtake you coming out of the last corner but aparently 1st isnt the gear to exit that bend.. doh!
    For me it was clear in qually that were very fast there so a well deserved win! Just dont expect everyone to get out your way in future now we all know you can handle yourself!
  • On the way back to London the cluch hydrolics failed on the 2nd hire van and had to wait for another tow truck... seriously!

Looks like my biggest issue this season is that there is a mystical force trying to keep me from practice days. I believe I can go as quick as most out there but without the practice there is so much pressure and stress. Also ultimately I think I am more liable to make mistakes like the one I just mentioned.

So I say now confidently... "she you all at the Pembrey Practice!".

Last edited by Simps : 20-Jun-2011 at 17:14.
Old 20-Jun-2011, 13:27
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
was good to be racing with you mate, we all make mistakes eh and you seemed out of control yourself a little occasioanlly!
Old 20-Jun-2011, 14:45
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
was good to be racing with you mate, we all make mistakes eh and you seemed out of control yourself a little occasioanlly!

Only occasionally?
Honestly, other than the stupid mistake I made with Phil, I never really outbraked myself or ran wide etc. Sure my braking points were a bit irratic and I doubt I had 2 consistent lines through the corners all race but I was upfront from the start so I was able to run my own race and not get too tangled up passing people. However I bet I made some funny shapes on the bike trying to keep it going where I wanted it!

Last edited by Simps : 20-Jun-2011 at 15:04.
Old 20-Jun-2011, 14:56
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Only occasionally?
Honestly, other than the stupid mistake I made with Phil, I never really outbraked myself or ran wide etc. Sure my braking points were a bit irratic and I doubt I had 2 consistent lines through the corners all race but I was upfront from the start so I was able to run my own race and not get too tangled up passing people. However I bet I made some funny shapes on the bikes trying to keep it going where I wanted it!

ha you did - mid corner with it cracked right over...but then I bet mine looks out of shape too...rarely feels it but I know from mates that I ride with things failry loose looking

I did expect a lunge and can only thank your lack fo counting gears ;p

one disc is the way forward tho except in the wet!
Old 20-Jun-2011, 17:13
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders

one disc is the way forward tho except in the wet!

Ok... have to disagree with you now. From where I was sitting it looked like you could do with another disc!

Were you only running one, I didnt look. In my opinion you ran a great race but a few of the issues could have been avoided if you got it stopped quicker. It has to make sense for you to have more stopping power?
Old 20-Jun-2011, 17:30
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
I was angry yesterday Hugh, that has gone but the dissapointment lingers. Looking at the laptimes it cost 15 seconds it seemed a hell of a lot longer on the grass rejoining at Corams.

Lets all try and remember that we have to work on Mondays and its not a contact sport. I'm pleased both of us escaped, no more to be said on the issue, (dead and buried). I'll have a pint at Pembrey tho'
Old 20-Jun-2011, 19:24
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I was angry yesterday Hugh, that has gone but the dissapointment lingers. Looking at the laptimes it cost 15 seconds it seemed a hell of a lot longer on the grass rejoining at Corams.

Lets all try and remember that we have to work on Mondays and its not a contact sport. I'm pleased both of us escaped, no more to be said on the issue, (dead and buried). I'll have a pint at Pembrey tho'

You're quite right.
I knew I made a stupid move as soon as I started to run wide. Hope you realise that I would not intentionally knock into you like that. I really enjoyed racing with you and in my head the pass was straight forward with me just slipping up the inside line, however the reality was very different.

I just wasnt familiar enough with the track and how the corner worked and where you would be by that point etc etc.
In general I would like to think that everyone I have passed so far this season thought it was clean and not problematic and that everyone would feel safe racing alongside me.

On the long journey back I came to terms with the fact that while I may be quick enough to race up the front with the likes of you, Ron, Kev & Neil it is my first season and I havent had as much experience so I must get to these practice days if I am going to be trying to lap at this pace.

I am naturally competitive and I can't say that I won't keep pushing for wins and making passes but I will engage the brain more in future.

I look forward to buying you a pint at Pembrey! Thanks for being a gent about the whole matter.
Old 20-Jun-2011, 22:45
MotoGP God

nah 1 disc is enough, I only missed my turn point once, into the lefty hairpin which I still made easily and the last corner was more to do with gears than brakes. Its more than enoiugh to lift the rear, as I found out

roll on Pembrey