Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Sep-2004, 22:07
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
can someone please help me .........

..................... out with all the differnet varieties of the 748.

i would like a 748 r if i can stretch my budget that far,but after looking at a few this weekend im a touch confused as to what model,year to go for.

i would like it to be red and have the marchesini wheels and carbon cans if poss, dont ask for much do i

i would say im a average,confident, fairly fast road rider,im no track god or anything silly like that. when im out with my mates they will all be on r6's,cbr6rr's etc thats why i'd like a R for the xtra performance

does the newer R with full ohlins make that much difference than the R with showa ??? and why do all the red ones seem so much dearer ???

would i better off saving some cash and going for a 748sps or just a newer S model , would a bip with single seat option be a more sensible option

please help as im a touch confused as to what to do so any advice welcome
Old 26-Sep-2004, 22:26
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Deej,

Personally if it were me, I'd go for one of the later (last) ones, with the new style bodywork, and ohlins f/r, you'll get 5 spoke Marchesini wheels, 50mm pipes, stand (??)

It all depends on how much you want to spend and I guess from a selfish point of view, if you got the early model, with the old style fairing, and showa front, would you be thinking, wish I had spent that bit more to get the ohlins and the new bodywork?

I guess red will be more expensive being a Ducati, depends on what you're after, there's a few about red/yellow.

What sort of budget are you on?
Old 26-Sep-2004, 22:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
all depends on what i get for my r6, was offered £2500 part ex for it over the weekend so about £7k tops

would a wk51 plate 748r have the pipes and stand as standard, saw 1 this weekend at a dealer which had stainless branded termi's,no stand but had only done 300miles with 1 owner, i thought all the R's came with race cans as standard ?????

would a bike with 6000 miles be a better but than a bike with 300miles ???
Old 26-Sep-2004, 22:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Deej, have you been to the bike shop in Bude (well, just on the outskirts of the town - in the industrial park)?
Last week they had a clean looking red 748 (but cant remember whether it was an R tho - sorry), also a 996 & a 999. The 996 was a bit 'pricey' if I remember rightly tho.

C
Old 26-Sep-2004, 22:52
Ducati Meccanica

yeah, gerald can be a bit pricey but he will also do a good deal, i think the 996 is up for £6k and the 748 is his own track bike, didnt know about the 999 mind you

might ask the guy who's downtraining me to be a instructor to have a word as he can get good deals out of him

he sold my mate a r6 this year, he knocked £250 off asking price and then sold him some a'stars boots.arai parkes rep. a'stars sp2 gloves and diadora leathers for £550 all in, thats a good deal
Old 26-Sep-2004, 22:56
Ducati Meccanica

aaahh, thanks weeksy

i though they would be full termi's not just a pair of branded ducati/termi's

think i'll try and do a deal on the 6000 miler tomorrow then,£4500 cash plus a r6 for a bike they want £7300 for should do especially with the market so slow at the moment

would £7k sound about right for a 748r,51plate,6300miles, fdsh,in good condition, its been reduced from £8300 which i think was a bit high
Old 27-Sep-2004, 10:26
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
After reading your post DJ..I cant help thinking youdbe better off with an S model....which will give you the marchesini wheels and the later testastretta style bodywork you are looking for.

Apart from being more pricey, the 748R can be a little finicky to set up , and I believe maintenance schedules are more stringent (read more expensive) due to its higher state of tune (someone like Nelly can explain this better than me!).

Fuelling is also more difficult to get 'spot on' I understand.

Dont be blinded by the ohlins forks...! The S's showa suspension is more than upto the job...and you can buy a single seat unit/termis cheap as chips nowadays !

Anyone..come on..pull your finger out...youve been talking about this for ages now

Good luck
Nat
Old 27-Sep-2004, 10:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
2002 748R ..is th ebest 748R built...go for it if yoiu can get it...the OHLINS over showa the uprated brakes etc etc make for a serious bike.......

I had a 748S and sold it to buy a 748R...best thing i ever did..get the best m8 get the 748R..u wont regret it...
Old 27-Sep-2004, 10:50
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The R model started from 2000 which was the only one to have the Ohlins rear but Showa front. From 2001 onwards it had Ohlins all round. All of the R models have grey 5 spokes (cast, not mags) and grey frame though. The 2002 model will have the 998 style (unvented, single-piece) fairings and also the 4-pad calipers as Fil says.

I've got an S model and it's far more capable than me! It's amazing the difference a good suspension setup gives you in terms of confidence in the bike. Having the few extra horses would be nice, but most of that has been solved by changing the gearing.
Old 27-Sep-2004, 11:29
Mille

Mood: building the beast
Hi Deej,

I thought the same as you mate but in the end went for an S. Its a 2002 one so has the smooooooooooth 998 style fairing. It has a single seat unit and carbon race cans so apart from the forks it looks just like an R. As you know i had an R6 before and im 100% sure you will still be able to keep up with your mates on the 748. I went for the S because its cheaper to buy run and insure. The saving will be spent on petrol and sticky tyres. I also found that i dont feel the need to ride as hard because i know i look far cooler then most other bikers and the 748 is as fun to ride at 70 as the R6 was at 130.