Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jul-2003, 21:22
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Nah - it needs too much work to get it back in shape!!!!!

How are things going with the repairs?
Got any parts yet?

Tim
Old 13-Jul-2003, 22:18
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Not at the moment Tim, ask Nelly about it
he can do either 853 or 955.
Old 14-Jul-2003, 00:50
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Felix, I think Dallas had several reasons for fitting the SP engine, one was to raise some cash, he originally tried to sell the whole bike for about £7k, but no serious takers, so to raise the money he sold off alot of his goodies, Radial Master cylinders Mag swingarn etc and then the engine.
other reasons for selling the engine was that it wasn't really suitable for road use as the bike is road registered, he found it to revy and a pain at low speeds, also the cost of servicing was a factor. Then he didn't really get on with on the race track with its revy nature after originally racing a 916.
why a 748SP engine ?, because I had it lying around and let him have it at a good price with a have it now pay later deal.
Old 14-Jul-2003, 12:22
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
To be honest it doesn't need that much work, just as usual I managed to dink all the expensive bits!

Looking ok so far. Gonna try and drop the forks out in next couple of days and take them into KAIS to get checked out. Then just get the plastic out and start to rebuild!

Also everyone has red bits and I am hoping to try and keep the bike as standard as possible!
Old 14-Jul-2003, 12:44
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Ratler whats wrong with getting the SPS on the track? - it takes me exactly 20 minutes to change my front and rear wheels, remove my rear mudguard and mirrors from my SPS and 30 seconds to stick a round piece of sticky plastic over the front headlight aperture.

Ready to go racing.

Only one bike to maintain, insured against theft at the track or whilst in transit, opens up entry to streetstock class and most importantly only one bike to get used to. It also gives justification for chucking loads of extra cash at tuning mods.

Most common argument against racing the road going bike is that they cant afford to chuck it down the road. Hows that work then??? Doesn't it cost the same amount to repair the track duke as the road duke? I don't race to crash-....-and if I was capable of riding to the handling/performance limit of a Ducati, I would probably be in BSB with sponsors paying for repairs!
Old 14-Jul-2003, 17:33
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
You could always buy a nice 996, with a track day kit, slipper, AP brakes, loads of other nmice bits, and just run it on the track....

(hint)

Old 14-Jul-2003, 18:32
Mille

Mood: Feeling Sad being Ducati-less :(
Tim, give me a call and also pick up your voicemail etc, then give me a CALL !
Old 14-Jul-2003, 19:15
Big Twin

Tim

He he he glad to see that my post might have changed your mind about the 996R vs track bike!! ;-)

I have been through that loop and I was even bidding at those crash/repairable auctions in Canway Island (check www.hbc.co.uk) but never got anything out of there. In the end I bought a cheap 748 that I was planning to turn up into a track bike... what a mistake!!

It is actually much better value getting yourself an ex-race bike. Those go quite cheap and you don't have the hassle of changing the whole fairing & lights, etc... and trading over a month on Ebay! It's all done for you and racers generally have maintained the bike well (regular oil / belt change, etc...).

I got mine for £4000. It is a 916 with Brembo GP Master Cyl, fully floating brembo cast iron discs (well now these have been changed for PFMs), techtronic quickshifter, full track body work, 50mm half system, 1 set of wets on wheels (virtually new).
Check with 998Addict he was selling his as well for a bit more money but with more extras too.

Only problems with the 916 I got was, set of Rennsports needed changing, wiring loom is quite dodgy (many thanks to Nelly to sort that out), cambelts needed changing, valve clearance is quite off and will need to be arranged. But I would have had the same issues with any other bike.

It is a bad time for you to buy such bike though because it is the middle of the season. If you can wait a little I might actually sell mine for a 996 later in the year since the team I know might be selling their 996.

If you go ahead with buying one, let me know too as I have been through that loop and have now some contacts with some race tuners that could help you out.

Cheers
philippe
Old 14-Jul-2003, 20:11
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Thanks Guys...

......I'm still considering my options.

Whele - the SPS takes me a lot longer to get sorted than 20 mins, as I change the fairings, tank, wheels, remove, lights, indicators etc.... I swap all of this as I don't want to break anything expensive!

Its just a pain having to change all of these things over each time and if I leave her in track trim, then she doesn't get out on the road.

Its peace of mind, as I know I wouldn't go as quickly if I had road stuff on.

So its a track dedicated Ducati or.......

..........the easiest thing to do may be to get a track/race R6/CBR or similar, there are a few around, some with mild tuning, some standard spec... , these things are quick enough, some of them are putting out around 115BHP at the back wheel - lovely!!
But its not a Ducati!!!!

But to match this power, you either need a SPS or a well sorted 996. Not being too hot on the maintenance side, the R6 will probably require less maint than a tuned 916 and when it does, it'll be cheaper!!!

Saying that, I haven't seen any track Ducatis for sale anyway, so at the moment, there's little to compare.

Phil - you;re right about a change of mind, maybe I'll get a 996R as well!!!

Tim
Old 14-Jul-2003, 20:25
Big Twin

heavily tuned 600cc (ie. ones capable of winning Bemsee / MRO series) would put out about 115bhp / 120bhp at the wheel ... but you forgot to ask about power band and torque mate!!!

Ducati have much more power down the curve and you cannot compare riding an in-line 4 with a twin. I have been thinking that too and tried an R1 and that told me that this wasn't for me. I love Dukes and in the end you want to ride something that you love and enjoy it!
Also it would be weird for you being on a Duke on the road and a 4 on the track. Too much adapatation both ways.

Then you start thinking Aprilia Mille ... lot more value for money than a Duke indeed... but have you sat on one?? It is so big and bulky that I did not feel happy with it ... so back looking for a Duke then!!! ;-)

Come on, once one a Duke, never on another bike!!