Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2005, 09:59
Montjuic

Mood: Spiffing
Bad fueling at 6k revs

Bike in question is a 95 916SP with 20+k on the clock.

It has developed a bad fueling problem at about 6k, on a very light throttle, eg coming out of a second gear corner. Once through the fueling is spot on. The bike has the FIM programmable chip , which has been played about with by Moto Rapido, who can make it slightly better by reducing the fuel at that point, but they cannot get rid of it. the injectors have now been cleaned, the TPS checked, fuel filters changed, they have even swapped the chip for another, but to no avail.

The guys at moto rapido have been great, trying to sort this out, but they are now lost as to how to proceed. Anybody out there got any ideas of what to check change, as I want my bike back to its former glory.

Kevin
Old 27-May-2005, 15:18
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Often misfires in a narrow rpm range are from a vibration-related intermittant electrical contact problem. Very hard to find. The fuel injection relays are possible candidates.
Old 27-May-2005, 17:18
Montjuic

Thanks I will get the garage to show me where they are then try to issolate one at a time.

Any other ideas are still welcome
Old 02-Jun-2005, 16:11
Mille

Mood: counting down to mad sunday
Currently having similar problems with 1998 916SPS, (FIM chip fitted),once you are over 5500rpm it pulls fast and clean but it has poor throttle response and misfires at several points in the lower rev range.
change of TPS is the next step. Will post results when this has been done.
Keep me posted how you get on.
Old 10-Jun-2005, 13:54
Montjuic

Sorry to hear you have the same problem, but relieved that it might not just be me. I have had the TPS checked out and it seems OK, so would be great to hear how you get on replacing it.
Old 10-Jun-2005, 15:04
Big Twin

My 95 916 SP has just succumbed to the rectifier/regulator/wiring problem suffered by many.

The first symptoms I experienced were a slight splutter and misfire on a neutral throttle in the middle of the rev range, which got worse as the day progressed, until later on in the day when it got really bad all through the rev range....and the bike couldn't be ridden (and yes, it was fitted with a new version reg/rec).

Now this doen't sound exactly like your problem (which does sound TPS/ignition/chip/vibration related...but perhaps whilst your tinkering, it may be worth just checking your wiring leading to the regulator/rectifier?

For peace of mind if nothing else!
Old 10-Jun-2005, 15:17
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve B
Currently having similar problems with 1998 916SPS, (FIM chip fitted),once you are over 5500rpm it pulls fast and clean but it has poor throttle response and misfires at several points in the lower rev range.
change of TPS is the next step. Will post results when this has been done.
Keep me posted how you get on.

Blimey! Sounds identical to the problem I now have since fitting FIM UM171 Chip to my (bitsa) 916SPS (8000miles). Almost unrideable in lower rev range (2-4K rpm), splutters, spits and generally runs like a pig - making it impossible to ride smoothly and safely into and out of corners.
I have a JHP Chip for it but that is overfuelling (stinks of fuel) and is a pig to start. Am intending to call MotoRapido as I have a Trackday on Monday!

Bike has had a recent big service and TPS/throttle set up etc etc.

Maybe we can get a "job-lot" discount for finding a cure???

R X
Old 10-Jun-2005, 16:54
Montjuic

I had a new rectifyer put on it a couple of years back, as the old one blew, much the same problem as Harv 748, and it has been off and on since then I suppose. The wiring loom was a bit melted after and Moto Rapido have now put on a new connector which has stopped this getting any worse, but I suppose it could be causing some problems still. Be interesting to know how Harv748 fixed his

Also When RickyX takes his in tell Steve that it has a similar problem to mine. I have had two FIM chips in and the original and they have all done it so do not think it is a chip thing.

Kevin S
Old 10-Jun-2005, 17:01
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
i had the same problem on the 916 for about a year....

about 5500 rpm... to be honest i never gave it a seconds thought lads...

if you're at 5500, you're doing something wrong

What a hero You should be racing.

Actually i guess the lads use 5500 rpm a lot as it leads thru to 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11,000rpm.
Old 10-Jun-2005, 17:06
Montjuic

Well said, I was not even going to warrant it with a reply:P