Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-Aug-2005, 11:09
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
donny wet race? better or worse for you?

how do you think you will fair relatively if it is a wet race at donington?

i'm not a fan of the wet, like most i guess, but dont think i ride too agressively (ie i'm usually slow) and am not too ragged so would like to think i would at least hold my place.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 11:14
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
im OK in the wet and tbh for this race i would like it to be wet..it will take away some of the advantage the lads have who have just recently done the trackday have.............

at least im honest lol

Phil
Old 09-Aug-2005, 11:28
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
I've twice dropped my bikes in the wet on track, so confidence is low.

Paul P and Fil both blitzed me at Cadwell in the wet......my preference is for dry!

Not bothered to much it does make things interesting!

In the wet, I'll put money on Skids shaming a few 'fast bikes'

Track eve tonight, roll on!
Old 09-Aug-2005, 11:43
Ducati Meccanica

Donington is quite slippy when wet. I prefer dry conditions myself given a choice.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 11:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Dry. I'd bin it at Coppice if it's wet. New surface + pushing the front hard when there's little weight on it = lowside central....

To be honest I'm pretty sure it'll be carnage regardless of the weather, the possibility of a first corner pile-up is very high thanks to the Redgate's reducing radius, and the temptation to carry too much speed into the old hairpin and punt off some unsuspecting rider (ask Ian) is also going to be a problem. If we all make round the first lap things should calm down a bit, but I'm more concerned about this race than any other so far.

Ali
Old 09-Aug-2005, 11:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I love wet races as I usually do quite well if I stay upright (when I don't it's usually because I'm trying to avoid a slower rider who has mucked up). Saying that I would like to see it dry on Saturday, with the nature of Donington in the wet and with no time to bed in some new tyres which would mean going out on well used tyres a dry race is preferable.
I haven't been to Donny since early 2002 so haven't tried the new surface but as a track its a heck of a lot of fun in the dry especially down Craner.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 12:09
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Hope it's dry tbh, else I'll have the same tyre dilema as skids.

It's looking like a wet weekend though, and I think Donny will be ok for me when wet... just hope it's not as slippy as Rocky.
Old 09-Aug-2005, 12:16
Mille

Although I, along with probably most of the field, would probably prefer a dry race, it would be nice to have just one wet race this season to "sort the men from the boys" (sorry Linn). I'm obviously a tad nervous in the wet, as I believe most are, but I do seem to go reasonably well. In the wet practice at Cadwell (I know everyone didn't have their transponders on) I was (an eccstatic) third fastest!!!! Then things dried out and I slid down the pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So....wet please, just this once!

Andy #99

Old 09-Aug-2005, 12:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
Hope it's dry tbh, else I'll have the same tyre dilema as skids.

It's looking like a wet weekend though, and I think Donny will be ok for me when wet... just hope it's not as slippy as Rocky.

amen to that..is it possible that donny could be a slippery as Rocky.?..that was truly *****........

What tyre dilema Nic.?
Old 09-Aug-2005, 12:24
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Trust me, you want it to be dry. Donington is a complete nightmare in the wet, so much so, that Loris has said he's not coming back unless they resurface it.

The last race meeting I did there was carnage, bikes going down everywhere. I went out on my CB5 with a wet front and road rear as I didn't have a wet rear at the time. The back was sliding at every corner and bikes were going down all around me, so I decided my health was more valuable than some points and retired after a few laps.

I would not like to be racing at Donny in the wet on road tyres. You might recall I said this at the AGM when you were all deciding on the tyre rules - I said wets for safety reasons. I REALLY hope I'm proved wrong and if it is wet, the Diablos work well and you all get round safely.

What will be more dangerous, is qualifying - has anyone considered that SOT and CB5's will all be on full wets? DD will be moving chicanes to the SOT and probably the Hornets and it will even up the CB5's lack of power a bit. Just a thought.

I'm hoping for a dry track, I may not even bother racing if it's wet, I'm going to Mondello Park for a few days straight after the last race.

WeeJohnyB