Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Jun-2006, 10:57
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999, BSA A65 Lightning, Matchless G80s

Mood: Fed up with DIY!
Unhappy Clutch Problems

My clutch has just started playing up on my 999 2004 but I believe it is the same as all the other models. The lever action is perfect until I have cause to hold the clutch in for fairly long periods ie. 1st gear in heavey traffic. Then the clutch 'biting point' gets progressively nearer the bar until finally the clutch drags and prevents me from selecting neutral!

At this stage if the lever is released and pulled back a few times the clutch behaves normally again until the next time I need to hold it in for a while.

I have removed the slave cylinder. The clutch push rod and inside the bore of the slave are wet with blackish oil, everywhere else is bone dry.

Does this mean the master or slave cylinder needs bleeding (bleed nipple in the master cylinder on the 999) and is this just a temporary cure or that the slave cylinder oil seal has just started to leak and needs replacing or both or something else.

Thanks
Old 14-Jun-2006, 11:17
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Sounds like the slave seal is leaking. The push rod should stay dry as far as I know.

You might also want to check that the thrust bearing in your clutch is working - that's the bearing that the push rod pushes on the clutch side. If it's not spinning freely the push rod will spin, create a lot of friction and heat in the slave cylinder and cause the fluid to expand...again, might cause enough pressure to push past the seal.

You can also bleed it, won't hurt to try the quick option first.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 15-Jun-2006, 14:07
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999, BSA A65 Lightning, Matchless G80s

Mood: Fed up with DIY!
I have got an open clutch so should I be able to see the clutch control pin and inner race of the bearing become stationary when the clutch lever is pulled in?