Old 20-Apr-2006, 19:12
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveO749R
Hi

I have experianced this a few times I suspected air trapped at the top of the banjo connection to the master cyclinder.

Try the following in this order.

1. Pump the brake lever a few times and tie wrap the lever back hard against the bar and leave it over night. Hopefully the air will move up and into your master cyclinder. If not move the bike into the sun and let the warm sun heat up master cyclinder hoping the trapped air inside expands and then moves up into the cyclinder. Sounds daft but it works.

2. Use a syringe (cost coppers from a local store) attach the bleed hose to the end fill it with fresh fluid connect it to your caliper bleed nipple and force the fluid up through the system into your master cyclinder. Use a reasonable sized syringe to ensure enough fluid is pushed through the system ensuring no air remains (oh and don't forget to keep and eye on the expansion bottle as the fluid comes up empty it with a second syringe).

Just keep trying u will get there in the end.

Regards

Dave O

I would challenge the use of "forcing fluid in with a syringe as it would inevitably have air in it.

However, i would use a syring to draw the fluid through by attatching it to the bleed pipe. This does work and will draw out the air as well as you new clean fluid. With the undrslung rear calliper, you do need to unbolt it and mount it on top of the disc to bleed!

We've used the force through method for quite a few years on our pro race team downhill bikes, its how the brake manufacturer race techs do it.......

if you are concerned keep flicking hose and lever just to let any last drops of air out but even if you don't it'll still work a lot better than conventional bleeding. I've never seen them suck fluid through with a syringe, I'll try and check tomorrow and find out why they don't do it that way.
Old 20-Apr-2006, 19:46
500SD

749 & 999 Master Cylinder tips

1 - let the fluid go down the brake pipes by bleeding as normal
2 - YOU ALSO HAVE TO BLEED THE MASTER CYLINDER - THE BLEED NIPPLE HAS A 6MM HEX HEAD AND IS ACTUALLY LOCATED IN THE FLUID RESERVOIR ITSELF BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!!
3 - once you have bled the air out of the master cylinder you will get rid of all the air in the system when you next bleed the calipers which you should do finally in the bleeding process
4 - enjoy!

khushy

[Edited on 20-4-2006 by khushy]
Old 20-Apr-2006, 22:47
Mille

The above method works 100%, well for me anyway, well done khushy for the explanation could,nt have put it better myself.
Old 21-Apr-2006, 13:24
Mille

khushy is half right, for mine I used a 6mm socket, just undo it a bit like a bleed nipple and pump, if you need I can send you a jpeg but will need you emain address, one day I mite be able to use this bord, hope this helps
Old 21-Apr-2006, 13:30
500SD

"half right" LOL!!

its easier to use a 6mm ring spanner - it is a bleed nipple!

[Edited on 21-4-2006 by khushy]
Old 21-Apr-2006, 14:17

i found the bleed nipple in the res
2 pumps and problem solved!
Old 21-Apr-2006, 15:09
500SD

Old 21-Apr-2006, 16:19
Mille

ok so I didn't read your answer properly, sorry khushy
Old 21-Apr-2006, 16:30
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
....seems nobody read my earlier post either
Old 21-Apr-2006, 16:59
500SD

ooooooooooops - skipped over your post - you are right - it was the other endless drivvle that I was reading!