Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 04-Jun-2003, 03:27

748 front tyre size

Ok... As most of us know, 748's (not sure whether they changed at all) come with 120/60 front tyres fitted... Wheras the 916/996/998 came with 120/70 tyres fitted, despite often coming with the same 180/55 rear tyre...

So my question is, should I keep with the original 120/60 size on my 97 748SP, or go up to a 120/70???

It seems to me that there is no difference in any of the cycle gear between my 748SP and its 916 equivalent (my mate has a 96 916SP for me to compare to)...

But is there different gearing on the speedo drive between the 2 bikes? And if not, is it the 748 speedo that is over reading, or the 916 speedo under reading?

I'm completely flummoxed by the whole situation, as it seems like nonsense to me that one bike should come with a different sized front tyre to the other, despite being almost identical (engine size being the only real difference)...

The main reason why I'm asking is that all the tyres I'm after seem to be much more readily available (and easier to get a deal on) as a pair when bought with a 70 profile front...

Hence, should I buy a 70 profile front tyre? Or will it mess my handling and speedo up?

And if it doesn;t mess my speedo up, could I just drop the forks through the Yokes by 5mm to negate any height gained by the extra tyre sidewall height, or is it a little more complicated than that?

PLEASE HELP!!! (rear tyre is almost bald, so I need to order them today really!)

cheers