Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Oct-2003, 00:20
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Carbon Dymag Swingarm

I was thinking of fitting one of these to my current project of the 998 engine in the 748RS chassis, anybody got one or had any experience of one. I have been offered a unused one with a hub for a lot less than the one listed at the link below at £1812

http://www.dymag.com/Carbon%20Compos...ing%20Arms.htm
Old 30-Oct-2003, 17:09
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Is it longer than standard?

It'd have to be a lot cheaper than that to justify it wouldn;t it?

Tim
Old 30-Oct-2003, 19:14
MotoGP God

Longer than standard by 20mm as has been the standard for most the Factory Superbikes since Hockenhiem in 1995, saved Foggy having to strap 3Kgs of ballast to the subframe as he did at Albacete to try and improve rear traction. the lighter weight helps shift the weight bias forward. Got the price down to £1250 so far.
Old 30-Oct-2003, 19:32
WSB Hero

Its still plenty plenty moolar though!!!

......but as its carbon!!!!

Tim
Old 31-Oct-2003, 00:45
MotoGP God

yep it is a fair wedge Tim, but when you pick it up and handle it you realise its something a bit special, I would still like to get the price down a bit more as I could then offset 90% of the cost by selling my Mag arm to a mate that races a 998R
Old 31-Oct-2003, 01:41
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Often, stability in a racebike is more helpful in reducing lap times than quicker handling.

I've read that the factory racebikes use a revised suspension linkage (different moment arm) and a mag swingarm that's about an inch longer than production bikes for enhanced high-speed stability (at the sacrifice of cornering) BUT they also combine this with mag triples that have a different offset than stock.

Both of these changes together tend to make the bike harder to turn and put higher loads on the front wheel which will have a tendency to allow the front to slide out easier.

Maybe the standard swingarm length suits street riding better then the race setup. I'm not sure what you get if you just change the swingarm length without the other changes.
Old 31-Oct-2003, 11:32
WSB Hero

How much extra length could you get out of maximising the wheelbase on the concentric hub?

.....ie - if you were to set the rear wheel back as far as it can go - how much length would be gained?

Also, if you were to change the front sprocket for a smaller one (rather than change the rear for a bigger one), you'd gain more stability? As you'd have to have a longer wheelbase to tension the chain correctly.

Is this change negligible?

Its cheaper that a Mag or carbon swingarm!!

Tim
Old 31-Oct-2003, 12:47
MotoGP God

Shazaam, needles to say I have the correct rocker and Ohlins race spec shock along with different offset mag yokes, though I intend to swap these for Harris adjustable ones at some point. The mag wheels help get back a little of what you loose in the quick steering stakes.
Tim I've been running the race bike with the standard swingarm in the long mode as often as possible. But again it is a compromise as you have to compensate for the rear hub position with the ride height adjuster, which not only alters your linkage position (notice the latest race rockers have 2 fixing positions, one for 17" and the other for 16 1/2" wheels) but also the angle of the swingarm and related swingarm pivot height, which all effects grip levels. The race arms with relocated shock and linkage mounts along with a revised rocker arm take all this into consideration to give a better set up.
Just wish I was good enough to make use of it.