Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Oct-2003, 19:54
Mille

Mood: tired!!!!!!!!!
Spending money on parts i may never use.

I have just spent bucket loads of cash on 996 on a service very well done by Nelly (CORNERSPEED) and also been buying parts galore as i am a beliver you can never have to many spares for that rainy day, but i may never ever use most of what i bought.
But one thing i will be using is my quick change rear sprocket carrier when it arrives, but i have bought off a site member 4 Renthal rear sprockets which i have not got a clue what the rear does when it is changed as the standard is 36 but now i have 36, 37, 38 and 40 so what differences am i going to expect when i go bigger on the rear? I have already done the easy mod of putting 14 on the front and have seen the improvments and i am changing from a 525 DID to 520 Renthal system.
Old 18-Oct-2003, 20:09
500SD

You can expect more of the same! As a rough rule of thumb, going up 3 teeth at the rear is equivalent to going down 1 tooth at the front. So, more acceleration but lower top end.

Hope this helps,

Neil.
Old 18-Oct-2003, 20:10
888 at Last !!!

Mood: IF IN DOUBT..GET BLAGGING.
Bip,did it make much difference with the smaller front cog,'cos mines just been done while its being serviced ?.
Old 18-Oct-2003, 20:20
Ducati Corse

Put a 14 tooth on my ST4 a while back. Much easier pulling away, smoother two up, far better around town, about 500 revs more in top gear for the same speed. I would say if your doing lots of motorway riding then stay standard but for everything else then 14 is the way to go.
Old 18-Oct-2003, 21:47
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
On my 916 Strada race bike I run 14/38 on a lot of the tracks, which gives good punch out of corners, but isn't suitable for Silverstone GP where 15/38 would be more suited (14/36 was still to low) same would apply to Snetterton, but on the roads where out right top speed is rarely used, the hard acceleration out of corners on the lower gearing will be far more useable and above all more fun, just mind the 3rd gear wheelies as mine has a tendancy to bring on the oil light.
Old 19-Oct-2003, 08:20
Montjuic

my oil light comes on if i do wheelies too skidlids, is it normal?

sorry to butt in yellow bip.

joe.
Old 19-Oct-2003, 08:28
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Not usually in first or second only seem to have it light up when in 3rd which is close to the ton (15/37 gearing) and the oils had loads of time to drain to the rear of the engine. I suspect a deeped sump testastretta engine is needed to avoid this problem.
Old 19-Oct-2003, 08:30
Mille

Mood: tired!!!!!!!!!
Mogwai yes it did make a difference on putting the 14 cog on the front and i think i am going to put the 38 on the rear and see what happens.
Old 19-Oct-2003, 09:33
Ducati Corse

For £12 or so and half an hours work its got to be worth it. You can easily swap back if you dont like it.
Old 19-Oct-2003, 13:25
Ducati Corse

i have a gear selection program that allows you to put in front and rear sprocket sizes and it will give you acceleration curves and top speed,if you want it.