Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Apr-2006, 14:48
GTL

Fitting a slipper

Anyone fitted a slipper clutch recently? I have a Casoli ball and ramp type; it has a brass, collared spacer that I guess fits over the input shaft (which way?), a locking nut (how much torque, should I use loctite?), a large dished washer (where does that go?) and the spider spring (only one place that can go). Any pointers greatfully received.

Cheers,

Iain C.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 13:22
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Hi Iain,

It's been a while but going from memory:

The rim of the "top hat" collard spacer is toward the outside.
The dished washer replaces a similar standard item
Torque for big nut - lots, have a look in the Haynes. You'll need a clutch holding tool which you can make from 2 old friction plates and a piece of aluminium.

The Casoli kit is not hard anodized so:

Make sure the bearing ramps are lightly greased about evey 1,000 miles
Use alloy friction plates, or the basket gets real beating.

The attached diagramm may be helpful:

All the best,

Spin
Old 25-Apr-2006, 13:33
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
Ooh…ooh, before I forget.

Stack height (the combined thickness of all friction and driven plates) is critical to correct operation.

I thought I had got it right, but a grown-up at LouigiMoto fettled it for me, and it is now a lot better.

You may be wise to get one of the smarty-pants at Cornerspeed/LougiMoto/Sigma/Pro-Twins/JHP to either advise you, or have a quick look once you’ve done it yourself.

Spin
Old 25-Apr-2006, 15:57
GTL

Cheers Spin, that's just what I was looking for.
I've already invested in a set of alloy plates, and since I knackered my first slipper though not realising it needed greased, I've greased this one up pretty comprehensively. I'll take your comment about 'lightly' greasing on board though; I guess I don't want a lot of clarified grease floating around my clutch basket!

Thanks again,

Iain C.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 16:28
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
That centre nut (not sure if it's the "locking nut" you're referring to) needs to go to 186nM. So you do need a proper torque wrench to do this. You also need a proper Ducati "clutch holding/locking" tool. Although I believe you can build them yourself, I bought mine for approx. £70 from Carbon Traders, delivired next day in an emergency. The centre nut requires a 32mm sprocket, so make sure you have a big enough one.

Here's what happens if you don't tighten the centre nut to 186nM:

http://kapitalmoto.co.uk/node/27

and

http://kapitalmoto.co.uk/node/28
Old 25-Apr-2006, 20:30

Hi, make sure you degrease both the shaft and nut, use loctite nutlock 242e or similar, then torque to the spec in the FACTORY manual (not sure what it is as my manual is not to hand) make sure you use a good quality clutch holding tool so as not to damage the alloy hub and drum. The wider the holding surfaces on the tool the better, don't use a couple of old plates as you run the risk of damaging the hub and drum. You have no problems after this.

PHILLC was the titanium drum you used made by MPL of Germany? As this is a bit of a worry as I've fitted one to my 851/916 and haven't run it yet.
Mr.R...Steve
Old 25-Apr-2006, 20:47
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. R
PHILLC was the titanium drum you used made by MPL of Germany? As this is a bit of a worry as I've fitted one to my 851/916 and haven't run it yet.

Yes it was an MPL clutch basket. I asked Neil at Cornerspeed to fit it. Basically it didn't fit with the other OEM bits and pieces. When it heated, it expanded slightly and siezed the clutch. Neil could probably give you some more details about what happened.

[Edited on 25-4-2006 by phillc]
Old 25-Apr-2006, 22:23
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
mr r, where are you in cornwall, im up in st austell or st awful depending on where your from.

were probably having a ride upto the paignton bike weekend thing on sunday so might see you out and about
Old 26-Apr-2006, 19:05

Hi, deej i'm in Callington home Ginsters pastys (yea i know!), i'm running in my '79 900ss this weekend,so i might make it down to Paignton.I also have a '92 851 strada fitted with a tuned 916 motor,but this is up at MOTO RAPIDO being sorted by Steve H.When this returns i'd be interested in a ride over to you and maybe a ride out? (wife +kids x6 permitting).The older i get the faster i was,but on a recent run from Par market with my wife on the back, managed to pass a R1 four times, stoping at Dobwalls lights, lent across tapped him on the shoulder and said "hey that don't go bad for a 600"poor guy nearly died of embarassment! dropped the clutch and he didn't come by till we pulled of at Liskeard.Still he looked very quick sat at the lights! he he he .........STEVE
Old 27-Apr-2006, 21:24
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
ha ha fair shout mate, its good to have someone else from cornwall on here. i know that road well as its my daily commute, 15 mins by bike or nearly 30 in the car, lovely open roads at 6.30 and even better on a thumping duke

theres a few guys around here who can get embarressed quite easily, ive got a mate with a zxr400 who takes the **** out of a lot of bigger bikes.

will have to catch up for a ride or see you at paignton, red 748 with dsc and louigimoto stickers on it. will post up our times of leaving if your interested.