Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-May-2012, 18:14
Montjuic

1199 vs 1098/1198 power delivery

There seems to be quite alot of feedback and comments in the various forums and magazines about how different the 1199 engine power/torque delivery is compared to the delivery of a 1098/1198, specifically about how much more low down torque there is in the earlier bikes and that you have to work the 1199 that much more, some even comparing it to more like a 600 inline four (perish the thought).
I've sold my 1098S to make room for an 1199S and haven't ridden the 1199 yet so it will be an interesting comparison to make but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience or direct comparison of the two? How are you finding the change?

Chers,
Ben
Old 31-May-2012, 10:34
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Hi Ben, I can't give you a direct comparison but I have ridden a Panigale-on Monday! What can I say-what a bike. The fueling is sublime, turns really easily, engine is so so smooth. I cannot comment about the top end shove since the bike was still running in-but it certainly doesn't have the manic torque of the 1198-which is a good thing as far as I am concerned-unless you really like huge wheelies. Having said that it is certainly not weak at the low end-if you tweak the throttle it takes off-just smoothly. Only down side I could see is that at slow speeds you get your backside slowly roasted-huge amount of heat comes off the pipes. The exhaust valve thing is amazing-on standard pipes it sounds like it already has full race Termi's on it-then the valve shuts and the bike becomes whisper quiet-until it opens again to the full Ducati rumble.
The only real downside I can see-apart from the £20k asking-is that unless you are doing the topside of 80mph there is too much weight on my (modified at Brands 12 years ago) wrists. Brilliant bike for Sunny Sunday blasts and/or trackdays-I'll stick to my 1200Multistrada.

I also rode an 848 StreetFighter-now that really is a fun little road bike.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 31-May-2012, 15:00
Montjuic

Hi John,
Thanks for the info. I pick mine up tomorrow so I guess I'll find out!

Regards,
Ben
Old 31-May-2012, 17:34
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Don't forget to post some pics and let us know what you think!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 31-May-2012, 18:30
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I pretty much agree with John. It's an amazing piece of kit. Compared to my 1098, I found it easier to ride. There's less of a bang the moment you crack the throttle. For me, this was the hardest thing to live with on the 1098. It was all too easy to hoist the front wheel and 9/10 times it became a problem. The Panigale is a little more "subtle", mor refined. Don't get me wrong, it's immensley fast but more controllable, dare I say less intimidating.
The most impressive improvement for me was the low spped fuelling. 30mph in 3rd was quite doable and pretty much smooth as you like. No worse than pottering around town on my 696 monster.
The one I rode was all an stock, S version, in for it's first service. I'm looking forward to fitting a Termi kit on one soon. I'm looking forward to that test ride
I'm sure you'll love it. I did