Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 20-Dec-2003, 18:00   #1
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
2004 TT Lightweight ZXR400
Today I picked up a slightly damaged N reg. Kawasaki ZXR400L to build into this years TT race entry. Things to be done include
1, sort suspension, this includes replacing the rear shock and reworking the front fork internals.
2, getting the engine fully overhauled and tuned
3, replacement of the road bodywork etc with race parts
4, aquiring a spare loom to turn into a race loom and connecting to a stack rev counter and shift light.
5, fitting of a steering damper, lower chain gaurd/fin, sorting crash bobbins and altering lock stops
6, aquiring a few spares including engine, wheels and discs, levers bars etc.

Got a couple of months to get it all done.
But would appreciate any useful input/info/tips/contacts etc

Thanks to Chris P and Totto for their input so far.
And a big thanks to Jim at Bike Enders for the deal on the bike, didn't have time to hang around his place to see who was picking up 999 clocks etc, anybody care to own up.

Kev
Old 20-Dec-2003, 18:16   #2
Dibble

Afternoon mate ..

As you know i'm completely mechanically inept but as a previous owner of a VFR400 I can point you in this direction....

http://www.400greybike.co.uk

They have a forum, club etc and a few people with lots of knowledge, I havent been for quite a while but may be wortha look ...

Good luck mate ...
Old 20-Dec-2003, 18:39   #3
MotoGP God

Cheers Dibs, i've been doing a bit of searching of the web and saving a few of the sites that I think a worth visiting and Grey bikes is among them, if their forum is half as good as this one it should prove to be one very useful site.

Kev
Old 20-Dec-2003, 19:12   #4
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Hi Kev,
Any info you need just let me know.

With regards to the wiring loom contact try John at Track Electronics, he will make you one to the requirements you need.BTW is it an import or full uk spec???, if it is an import you will need to sort out the restrictor. Let me know & I will let you know how John sorted out mine.

www.trackelectronics.net

Will you be allowed to run ram air?? again when I sold mine it had the most uptodate system on it.

Chris.

[Edited on 20-12-2003 by chris.p]
Old 20-Dec-2003, 19:34   #5
MotoGP God

Hi Chris, the Bike is UK spec so should be OK, as for the harness i'll sort that myself, done a few now and compared to some Satelites that I've wired a bike one is pi55 easy as they have colour codes.
Didn't know anything about the ram air until I came across it in a search earlier, will have to check the rules and also work out cost, I think my budget will exclude the use of smoothbore carbs so will have to see what a Ram air system for the CVs would cost.
Kev
Old 20-Dec-2003, 21:26   #6
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Another site
Also check out:

http://www.splodgeracing.co.uk/

These are the guys that mainly race ZXR400's and were featured racing on the men and motors progs.

Good luck for '04 !!!

Frank
Old 21-Dec-2003, 10:33   #7
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

The bike that Andy from Splodge Racing was riding was bought from John Moriarty at the end of the 2002 season, it has ram air, the ram air box is from Shaun at R&S Performance. It has been modified to take flatslides as well as CV`s. John was able to do late 53 second laps at Mallory (before Edwinas)BHP on it was about 70/72bhp.
After my leg breaking incident at Mallory in April 2002( was in the same race as john on that day, think he came 1st or 2nd, I was lying in 5th on the last lap, then got t-boned, was doing bang on 56 second laps) I got a new modified box from Shaun and as I only had CV`s I had some metal bell mouths made localy, when we put the bike on the dyno at Shauns, the mid range was amazing compared to no air box & roughly chopped CV`s.
Although on the dyno there was no improvement to the top end, just by directing the cooling fan tubes from the raidiater to the ram air inlet made a big difference to the graph. Did a load of other work to it as well NWS linkages, ZXR6 calipers etc ready for when my leg was healed.
Never got to ride it as in June this year John gave up riding the aprilla Millie & sold it & bought my ZXR400, still do not know why I sold it to him, but it did make Cathy, my wife happy, have added a couple of pics of john on it at Mallory this season, showing the ram air inlet in the front of the fairing.

Chris.
Old 21-Dec-2003, 10:39   #8
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Another
Old 21-Dec-2003, 10:39   #9
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse