Ducati Sporting Club UK
Stolen Bikes
Please read the guidelines on this thread before posting an entry

Old 07-Dec-2005, 19:50
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
i'm confused - am i an old git or paranoid or ......???? had 2 bikes nicked, hate it happening and took security precautions before, bike is now indoors/alarmed/immob and chained - but i have gotta ride it to enjoy it - otherwise whats the point?and what do you do when you get there?? can't put it inside etc etc etc.
Insurance - this is the old git bit - i always thought insurance was only and i mean only if something bad happens - i hate claiming on it, losing your pride and joy is no fun. To those with minimal security - good luck - i wish i could but can't and am jealous - to those that think that they just need to claim if it goes - that's the sort of "i'm OK jack" attitude that makes people like RCA claim that england is a dump. So why do bikes get nicked? if everybody bought everything from an authorised dealer not e-bay etc etc maybe that would dry up the outlets - utopian vision i know? RCA's view of the police - i agree but sympathise as well - give them the resources and tools and then if they didn't do the job - moan big time.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 20:11
Big Twin

Mine lives in the house and its chained to the dog....

Opps dont have a dog, **** who's dog is it then!
Old 07-Dec-2005, 20:15
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Good grief!

I thought I was right wing, but you can flap yours as well !

I'm old enough to remember when all public phone boxes had a telephone directory inside them....which didn't get nicked. How times have changed.

There is one simple solution - but in several parts

1. Double the Police Force, but set realistic targets and make officers accountable.

2.When you catch a thief make his life a misery...literally. Build more prisons and lock the scum away.....BUT..try everything possible to rehabilitate them while they are inside.

3.Give our youngsters the opportunity to do worthwhile things that don't cost the earth and they will be too busy to hang around on street corners looking for mischief. Then they might end up as usefull members of society and not thieves.

Then you might be able to leave your bike outside with the keys in and the helmet sat on the seat.

I had a dream
Old 07-Dec-2005, 21:07
RCA

To clarify, my post was aimed at those people who try and pitch the blame for their loss on something or someone else, other than their own stupidity.

And the 'if it gets nicked, Iam covered, I don't care', attitude is that of a total retard. The reason the FC insurance premiums are so high in the first place is because of this very attitude. More claims, higher premiums. Do I really have to spell this out? Is this a Kawasaki forum in disguise?

MR T (God this makes me so maaaaaaaaaad)
Old 07-Dec-2005, 22:21
Big Twin

RCA has a fair point, if intemperately expressed. We should all take what we consider appropriate measures to reduce the risk of bike theft. The "the insurance will cover it" attitide *does* stink.

But we all have to make a judgement on the balance of risk. If I thought like RCA, I 'd never do the miles that I do. And I think if that *was* my world-view I'd regard bike ownership as more hassle and worry than it's worth.

Fortunately, it isn't, and I don't.
Old 08-Dec-2005, 01:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Firstlty I take issue with England is a dump, true it has some dumpy parts but if it is that bad why down sarf are we inundated with Ozzies and South Africans because its less of a dump and we earn more.

Secondly we should all take care to secure our bikes but unless Im very much mistaken the horror stories I have read all seem to happen in big towns and cities. Out here in the sticks we are not affected by such evil filth who turn up in a van having followed you home and nick your pride and joy - well if we are its so rare that I have never heard of it.

So if you are that disallusioned either start riding something that the Scum wont nick, move house to a quiter area or get the big hungry dog in !
Old 08-Dec-2005, 02:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
sorry chap cant agree

in the same context
we must agree with the veiws of some
that state if a girl flirts with a bloke or dresses attractivly and gets raped she has brought it on herself
or if you ride a motor bike you are a chid killer

Old 08-Dec-2005, 11:08
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Quote:
Originally posted by RCAAnd the 'if it gets nicked, Iam covered, I don't care', attitude is that of a total retard. The reason the FC insurance premiums are so high in the first place is because of this very attitude. More claims, higher premiums.

No, the reason claims are so high is because there are "affirmative shoppers" out there who want something for nothing.

The attitude some people have is the problem - why bother to do an honest days work and be an upstanding citizen when the state (read taxpayer) will pay for my house, bills etc even when I'm nicked. BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY, and hard labour for the ones that are left.
Old 08-Dec-2005, 11:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Quote:
Originally posted by clockwork orange
Quote:
Originally posted by RCAAnd the 'if it gets nicked, Iam covered, I don't care', attitude is that of a total retard. The reason the FC insurance premiums are so high in the first place is because of this very attitude. More claims, higher premiums.

No, the reason claims are so high is because there are "affirmative shoppers" out there who want something for nothing.

The attitude some people have is the problem - why bother to do an honest days work and be an upstanding citizen when the state (read taxpayer) will pay for my house, bills etc even when I'm nicked. BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY, and hard labour for the ones that are left.
Send them to a penal colony like the IOW !
Old 08-Dec-2005, 12:19
RCA

Quote:
[i]BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY, and hard labour for the ones that are left.

Agreed.