Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 13-Apr-2004, 09:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Ducati, the end of an era? The Future?

I saw it on TV at Silverstone, but it really did hit home yesterday watching at BSB Brands with the lack of Ducati thunder around the circuit, - we are back to an era of 4 cylinder scream.
Race 1, Emmett goes down, leaving just Dean Thomas and a few privateer backmarkers, Dean Thomas dissapears, no Ducati in Top 10?

No wonder the Jap's are n't playing ball in WSBK, - and with Dorna now owning BSB, - this series is going to become the "other " WSBK for the Jap bikes. I predict that for next year the series name will change to not having the word Britich in it, and the year after, moving away from British circuits.
Old 13-Apr-2004, 10:27
everton

Looks like its all down to our Sean...........did well in Race 2 didn't he..

BSB Brands Hatch Race 2 result
Old 13-Apr-2004, 11:16
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

And obviously the 999 is not easy to ride as many riders have said...

Look at Chilli - going back to a 998 and still doing good things on it !!!

Still.....doesn't competition improve the breed ???
Old 13-Apr-2004, 12:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
This might get some strong responses but here goes anyway.

I think Ducati have had it all there way for too long. It's good to see some real alternatives capable of winning races. We now have MotoGP where ducati is proving itself competitive without a capacity or weight advantage. This has got to be a good thing.

There are plenty of Ducatis in WSBK, and I see Chris V is going to be keeping them honest on the Honda.

As for BSBK, we'll have to see who comes to the top. Watching two or three riders owning the championship from race one seems like a recipie for disaster.

Just my £0.02 worth.

Regards,

Rob
Old 13-Apr-2004, 12:30
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I think that competition is healthy!!

Whilst we would all love to see Ducatis dong well, over the last few years its been a case of which Ducati would win!

Now everyone has to sharpen up their act.

On the Chilli side - its interesting to see that he has on occasion gone back to the 998 and has even tried a single sided swingarm in the 999!!!

I reckon it doesn't make him any faster, it just makes him look better

Tim
Old 13-Apr-2004, 13:18
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Ducati winning is great, but winning because they're (basically) the only bikes out there is not good for anyone.

Yesterday at Brands was a cracking race meeting, with Ducati, Honda and Suzuki all capable of winning, Kawasaki nearly there, and hopefully Yamaha getting their act together again soon.

Bottom line is, a variety of competitive manufacturers makes (a) for interesting racing and (b) Ducati wins all the better.
Old 13-Apr-2004, 14:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
In the last four years Ducati have not exactly had it all their own way. They may have won the manufacturers champioship through sheer weight of numbers but Colin Edwards won the riders championship in 2000 and 2002 on a V2, beating Ducati at their own game!!

As for Chilli on the 998, as we all know style is very important for Italians!!
Having said that he is having trouble getting his 999 setup where he can be confident in it, whereas he can jump on his old 998 and feel comfortable with it.

The only BSB teams that can afford the latest spec 998s are Monstermob, who have gone 999, and Renegade who have gone WSB with 999s. I don't think any of the other 998 teams have got the riders to challenge the IL 4s.

Ray

Ray.

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Ray]
Old 14-Apr-2004, 18:26

Ducati Racing...

Ducati Racing - where's it all going ?

Downwards I'm afraid. Due to a lot of things, but I recon mainly cost / availability / and the Japanese catching up - are 3 of the main.

Costs - 1 BSB SB rider = 2 bikes ( 03 999's 75K ? 02 998's 50K ? 01 996's 25K ?) and usually 4 / 5 engines ( 15 K each ) - and that's just the start. Bear in mind min service intervals for 999 etc will be 600 miles (heads) 1500 miles (full strip). One BSB weekend event covers 250 / 350 miles.

Availability - Ducati Corse produce worldwide approx 25 999's. So that ain't a lot to go round. 998's are just about on the gas - for the moment - 996's are just about Ok for top club racers - Converted Street 999's ain't worth getting out of the van. Miles off the pace.

Japanese 4 Cylinder kit. Well now then....Not probs with availability - take a stock Gixer / R1 / ZX10R ( and Blade soon ) all about 8 K each and about 155 / 160 bhp approx. Tune it / add some toys and you've got a 170 bhp missile - that owes you @ worst 15 / 18 K.( ok 25K being silly ) Service intervals ? Apart from oil and filters miles and miles - perhaps 2 twice in a season - and that's worst case sinario.

What have Ducati in reply? Different fairings for the new 999's ??

Honest - we're in for a hard time - at all levels. And I've not seen a Ducati Moto GP bike on E bay yet !

ta

Alan

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit