Ducati Sporting Club UK
Rideouts, Meets and other Events
Details of various meetings, rideouts and events that are not Ducati specific.

Old 14-Nov-2004, 11:04
500SD

Mood: DOH!
When I had a road Ducati, I rode it all year round except when it was snowing, but to be honest, I couldn't disagree more with comments which suggest that it teaches you good riding!
It teaches you to stay on in the wet, no bad thing of course, but you spend far too much time looking at the road directly in front of you for mud, leaves, wet bits, tractors etc. Both myself and my husband would then always have a lengthy conversion period when the sun came back, to get out of that habit!!
But it is nice I think to go to the bike show on a bike and to get out for a blast with your mates when the suns out, just make sure you have some warm kit! I rode 150 miles back here yesterday and the sun was shinig, but boy was I cold!
Old 14-Nov-2004, 17:19
Montjuic

Well, Just been out. Invested in very sexy old ladies thermals and put on more layers to beat the cold and did ok. Lovely sunny day. Coffee halfway to warm up the fingers. I really feel I need to keep riding to keep my confidence up. This was the first time in a month due to a Holiday and general stuff getting in the way. Enjoyed it and Rockhopper, I really do appreciate all your comments and Observations. Give me time and I'll get there
Old 14-Nov-2004, 17:40
Ducati Corse

You're already there hun, just need a bit of fine tuning. Considering you've only ridden the thing five or six time you're doing exceptionally well.
Old 14-Nov-2004, 18:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Well done, Lynn. Was a great day for riding, wasn't it? The real plus about winter riding, when the sun shines and the roads are dry and frost free, is the lack of Sunday drivers. The roads are so much clearer. And those people who are out in cars seem to notice bikers and move over for them.

Today was a v. good day for being out and about. How dirty did your bike get, Lynn? It's like dust. After a while, it can't get any dirtier. Clean in the spring, is my advice.
Old 14-Nov-2004, 18:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
You've changed your Avatar. Are those the thermals?
Old 14-Nov-2004, 20:10
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by lynn
Winter riding - advice please

Simple Lynn - DON'T. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Leave the bugger in the garage till it warms up. Been there, done it, froze me borrox off, got several T shirts. It's not worth it - in MY opinion.
Old 14-Nov-2004, 20:44
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I was thinking about this the other day mainly, in terms of keeping any 'sharpness' on a bike up to speed.
How about getting off-road???

For example - going to an off-road centre for either a go of - trail / trials or even (god-forbid) some gentle Supermoto if anywhere is daft enough to do it!

Indoor mini-moto also sprug to mind but I just know my hips/back/knees/wrists would never cope for more than 3 minutes - LOL - much the same as some other activity really!!!

Franko
Old 14-Nov-2004, 22:37
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by lynn
Well, Just been out. Invested in very sexy old ladies thermals and put on more layers to beat the cold and did ok. Lovely sunny day. Coffee halfway to warm up the fingers.
Not the gear in your avatar then?!
I invested in one of those EDZ undersuits.Great for keeping out the draughts.Available in one or two piece.
Good quality jackets like Hein Gerickes Voyager are great in winter,and their Pathan gloves keep the fingers warm.Not too bulky either.
Its great to be out and about on a day like today,I think I only came across six cars on my 30 odd mile ride home.
Oh and to keep the salt at bay,spray the bike with Scottoilers anticorrosion treatment.
Old 15-Nov-2004, 00:08
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
winter riding

Lynn
I dont know about any other members but my first bike was my only transport and being in construction I commuted all around the south east all year and the only thing it taught me was how incredibly durable the human body is.
there is no benefit to your confidence slidding on blackice towards an on coming coach.
there are certain times of the year when you just dont know whats lying round the corner and once the front goes its only a bulls...r that can pick a bike up from that.
unless your a speedway rider?
ride till it gets frosty then put it away.
ian
Old 15-Nov-2004, 18:10
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by 888heaven
Lynn
ride till it gets frosty then put it away.
ian

Exactly what my dear old Dad told me 4D (Sorry Lynn)