Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jun-2005, 19:28
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Harv748\'s ride height tool

Mine arrived today. A big thanks to him for going to the trouble of having them made up. I hope he sells many.

Doogalman
Old 07-Jun-2005, 21:06
500SD

Mine also arrived today,very well made-lovely tight fit,excellent value for money I reckon.Now I may be about to make a fool of myself cos either Im using the tool wrongly,or the ride height is in the wrong field!.
Old 07-Jun-2005, 21:21
500SD

Look nice dont they,might leave it on.
Old 07-Jun-2005, 23:18
Big Twin

Loverly tight fit...thats what we all like...eh...eh...

Mmmmh...does look a little on the low side mate...you got me a bit paranoid now...gonna have to go out and recheck mine!
Old 07-Jun-2005, 23:31
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Weight must be off the rear wheel & the measurement taken for the spindle center
Old 07-Jun-2005, 23:38
Big Twin

mmmh...is that right? I always thought it was taken with the weight of the bike on the paddock stand as pictured, after all, that is the actual ride height when the bike is moving (no rider), with the weight of the bike included, not when it is supported?

I could be wrong?

Also, I have always seen the measurement taken from the top of the wheel nut (flat)?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter too much, as the final ride height a rider settles for comes down to personal preferences, with the tool allowing you to measure it and record the height in an accurate way for YOUR OWN RECORDS for the future, if things are ever changed such as chain tension/sprockets etc. As long as the method is the same each time...
Old 07-Jun-2005, 23:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by aka.eric
Mine also arrived today,very well made-lovely tight fit,excellent value for money I reckon.Now I may be about to make a fool of myself cos either Im using the tool wrongly,or the ride height is in the wrong field!.

Looks like 210mm + 20.5mm (half the nut) + sag so probably a few mm less than I run mine
Old 07-Jun-2005, 23:45
Big Twin

Ahhhhhh...yes...doh!

Forgot to mention (in the notes I included with the tool) to also add halve the nut. U2U to follow for all whom have purchased to date!

Its been such a long time since I measured my old 748 with a proper tool, that I had forgotten that obvious bit!

Am I right in thinking you run 242mm Kev.
Old 07-Jun-2005, 23:45
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
This is a copy of the email I just sent to L3OONY with regard to his ill handling 748R

Hi Ian
just dug out my 916 race note book.
mine is indeed set a 242mm fully extended or 232mm under its own weight as I run 10mm of sag, this is from the centre of rge rear wheel spindle to the index mark on my ride height gauge, which is home made but a direct copy of the one we borrowed from AJR.
Also in my notes I have Craig Barkers settings, he came 2nd in Bemsee Supertwins at the time and worked for Ducati London South and therefore used the official Ducati tool, He Ran245mm extended and with the 10mm of sag 235mm under its own weight, if you are indeed using a comparitive tool then your bike at 195mm would turn like a barge and your mates like a super tanker.
Before I got a ride height tool I was told to run the tie rod at 270mm between centres of the fixing bolts, standard is 261mm.
As you look from the wheel nut side of the bike (RHS) the wheel spindle should be bellow the centre-line of the swing arm in between 6 O'clock and 9 O'clock.

Harv any chance of comparing your ride height gauge to mine
Kev
Old 07-Jun-2005, 23:56
Big Twin

Shouldn't be a problem Kev...I probably won't be at Popham on SUnday...but I'll bring it upto Foxes next Monday if your there?