Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 01-Jul-2009, 17:30
Mille

My brake fell off!

Howdy!

Last week, I got my ss back from it's annual service... sadly, I didn't really have time to ride it, so put it in my garage and didn't really enjoy it... (funny story actually, they found mouse droppings in the air filter ) anyhow...

Today I decided to goto work by bike given the sunny day, (a very short ride, only a minute long ride at most). Halfway there, I felt a judder from the bike and about 200 yards on, I noticed my rear caliper boucing on the road!

I stopped immediately had a look around (walked back to look for the two retaining bolts - and couldn't find anything). I eventually, put the caliper over the exhaust and got to work where I parked the bike and immediately called the garage.

While I didn't blame them outright for forgeting to put the bolts back (I was polite and courteous) I do believe they forgot to refit the bolts.

They're collecting it tomorrow; but I'm concerned. I've been told the brake lines are probably shot as it's dangled behind the bike for 200 odd yards by a friend who knows alot more about bikes than me. Also, the caliper is not scratched and the brake reservoir is overflowing brake fluid.

Question 1&2: is the line likely to be damaged? The caliper? (beyond visible scratches?)

Question 3: would it be unreasonable to ask them to replace the bolts, caliper and brake hose given the damage sustained?

Any advice?
M.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 18:08
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
Was cleaning/adjusting the rear brake part of the annual service for your model of bike or did they replace the pads? if so, definitely bolts and brake hose.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 18:17
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by moozaad
Was cleaning/adjusting the rear brake part of the annual service for your model of bike or did they replace the pads? if so, definitely bolts and brake hose.

I think a brake check was part of the service - but the belts were done as well which would involve removing the rear wheel. This in turn means (or, I believe it means) removing the rear calliper bolts... Also, the service log ends with "Bleed brakes" which seems to imply that some work was carried out on the braking system...

M.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 19:24
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
You certainly don't need to remove the rear wheel to replace belts. If the rear wheel was removed it is not required to unbolt the caliper from the carrier. Although some may do it for ease of re-fitting.
Old 02-Jul-2009, 01:18
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
You certainly don't need to remove the rear wheel to replace belts. If the rear wheel was removed it is not required to unbolt the caliper from the carrier. Although some may do it for ease of re-fitting.

Agreed there - I am curious as to why the needed to bleed the brakes though... I wish their jobsheet were a bit more detailed!

M.