Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Dec-2006, 11:19
Bevel Head

Bike Running Real Bad

Hi, just wondered if anyone has any obvious things to check....bike starts right on the button (888 Strada), but if it dies for any reason while I am riding it won't start, and I can smell fuel..it will start if I leave it for 10 minutes. Also with full choke it used to idle around 2500-3000 rpm, now it barely ticks over at full choke, and when I ride it, it runs like a dog with the choke full, halfway or fully off, sort of hesitant. It has new NGK Iridium plugs and a new battery which always seems rather gutless...Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 13-Dec-2006, 12:03
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
first things to check would be the fuel filter, then, or maybe first as it's free, check for kinked breather lines under the tank. if you get a large burst of air when you open the tank, a breather is the probable culprit, if the breathers check out, replace the filter. also, not related but good to keep an eye on, check the yellow alternator wires at the connection, chances are the connection will be suspect, once sorted use a tender when not riding. the charging system on these bikes is a single phase one and isn't as efficient as later 3 phase types. your reg/rec unit and battery will thank you with a much longer life.
cheers,
paul.
Old 13-Dec-2006, 12:58
500SD

I changed my 750 SS to NGK iridium plugs and it also ran like a dog. It would not pick up cleanly, and was hesitant at part throttle openings. Following a search here I experimented with larger spark plug gaps but to no avail. I know other people have found improvements using them, however I went back to standard plugs and all is well again.
Old 13-Dec-2006, 16:04
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
If all of the above fails, it might be worth checking the throttle position sensor (TPS). if this is playing up or has come loose the ECU can be fooled (fueled?) into thinking the throttle is open more and hence supplies more fuel, so you open the throttle more to clear it etc etc......

HTH

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 13-Dec-2006, 18:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Sounds like its only running on one - common cause of fuel smells - does it vibrate too ?
Even new plugs can be duff -especially if you buy them cheap
I run iridiums and they are fine.
Take both plugs out and see what colour they are and report back !
Old 14-Dec-2006, 10:14
Bevel Head

ok cool, i'll check the plugs, fuel filter, breather pipes, it does feel like its running on one cylinder rather than a missfire...sorry to be a thickie but where would the throttle position sensor be? I'll also try the old plugs. Also pretty sure the battery isn't charging properly as I run it every day but the battery is running down. Cheers

Last edited by Big Duke 6 : 14-Dec-2006 at 10:19.
Old 14-Dec-2006, 10:39
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
if the charging system isn't working properly, start there, these bikes will not run well with a low battery and/or poor charging circuit. check the voltage across the terminals at 3000 rpm, should be around 13 to 13.5 volts, if it's lower than 13 check the connections from the alt to the reg/rec and earths. also check it at idle and see if the voltage rate rises when you bring the revs up. if you aren't getting any charge, chances are the reg/rec is fried. there are excellent aftermarket ones available for a lot less than genuine.
Old 14-Dec-2006, 11:27
Bevel Head

Loony whats a reg/rec...is that a regulator rectifier? I'm guessing here.... I don't think there is a Haynes type manual for the T8, I have the workshop manual which I have downloaded, can anyone recommend a clearer maintenance guide, cheers?
Old 14-Dec-2006, 15:20
500SD

Big Duke 6

It does sound like the regulator/rectifier is kaput. You'll find it attached to the frame just beneath the clip which holds the forward edge of the fuel tank down. Remove the black plastic cover under this clip, and the regulator is just there - it's fastened to the frame with two bolts.

Replacing it is easy (if you buy an Electrex replacement, you'll find simple printed instructions in the box). It's a half-hour job at most. (..and it'll cost you approx. £70).

ps. I'm surprised you didn't get warning of this being about to happen. Usually, the red 'generator' light on the dash flickers as the revs drop.
Old 14-Dec-2006, 15:51
500SD

If it is the rec/reg thats at fault,when fitting a new one its not a bad idea to also fit a voltage display.You can see if problems are occuring,could save a fried battery.
http://www.lascarelectronics.com/pro...7F044F30C795BD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 888 055 (Small).jpg (53.6 KB, 11 views)