Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 02-Jul-2009, 20:32
Mille
Bikes: Red Ducati 848

Mood: Feeling Great :-)
Few Newbee questions

Hi All

Can someone help me out with a few very newbe questions

1) How long does it take to run in a new bike and what's the process, does it need to be kept below a certain rev range?

2) What's the maximum the oil temp can get to before it becomes a problem/harmful, sometimes in traffic it can go to over 100!

3) Can bikes enter the advance stop lines at traffic light designed for push bikes (Cycles)?

4) Is it legal to have on show a tax disc as all checks are now on a computer database?

Thanks
Paul
Old 03-Jul-2009, 01:54
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Question

1. Follow the manufacturers or dealers guidelines to maintain your warranty.

2.They all do that sir, it'll be fine. As long as you have fresh oil, and it is not for sustained periods, like 20 minutes around Mallory!

3. Answer in the question maybe,?, designed for cyclists, so I'd guess no, but is it a big deal.

4. I'd guess yes, unless it 'must have just fallen off officer!'

But what do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackster
Hi All

Can someone help me out with a few very newbe questions

1) How long does it take to run in a new bike and what's the process, does it need to be kept below a certain rev range?

2) What's the maximum the oil temp can get to before it becomes a problem/harmful, sometimes in traffic it can go to over 100!

3) Can bikes enter the advance stop lines at traffic light designed for push bikes (Cycles)?

4) Is it legal to have on show a tax disc as all checks are now on a computer database?

Thanks
Paul
Old 03-Jul-2009, 11:18
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackster

1)Its all explained in the owners handbook.It will be something like,do not exceed 5500 rpm for the first 600 miles,7500rpm from 600-1200 miles.After that,full gas!

2)I see the bike is an 848,....are you sure you dont mean water temp?If it is water temp,then the radiator fans will cut in on overtemp and cool things down.If you are talking oil temp,its normal to go over 100 deg.C in traffic,...especially in the summer.

3)Not legally no.

4)Legally,yes you do need to display the tax disc.
Old 03-Jul-2009, 11:47
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
1. Different schools of thought. Best to follow the handbook as you would expect the manufacturer to know best. You'll hear all sorts of stories including racers I have seen unwrapping the bike out of the crate in the paddock and pinning it from the word go.
2. Per Keefy. If oil you are thinking of, over 100 is fine for short periods, but if you are regularly going over 100, change the oil more often, eg a track bike/racer will change his/her oil a more often than the manual says, some even do it after every trackday/race meeting
3. Per Keefy. They're for push bikes, but regularly used my motorbikes. They can get busy in major towns in rush hour with loada of cyclists, some of whom might get a bit shirty if you push your way in - they are designed to let the vulnerable cyclist get away first/safely, but I always buzz down the outside and creep into the box and away. Not recommended if you are new to biking or to busy town traffic.
4. Should be displayed on the bike. Many bikers keep them in their pockets as they can be stolen easily, but if you park up regularly in town, expect to be pulled at some stage if you are not showing one

WeeJohnyB
Old 04-Jul-2009, 19:41
Mille
Bikes: Red Ducati 848

Mood: Feeling Great :-)
Thanks for the answers and advice guys, all very much appreciated

Paul :-)