Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-May-2006, 16:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I had a set of Pistals fitted to my 998r. Was led to believe they were a straight swap, just a piston swap ain't gonna gain anything but they are cheaper than OEM?

For some bizarre reason the cam timing on a lot of 999r type engines is out as it leaves the factory.

Bang for buck wise get the cams dialled in and a powercommander, then a dyno session to set it up.

You can tune the cam timing for mid range or top end. My bike, a 998r was about 4 degrees out, now its set to spec and the mid range a whole lot better. Also had the squish set and in my case the preload on the main bearings? was too tight. Only gained a few BHP at the top but about 5 mid range. The fueling is still a bit on the weak side so a power commnader is needed to sort that out.

If you just wanna liven the thing up just change the rear sprocket! Having said that change the gearing might just mean the front wheel spends even more time in the air!

Ray.