Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 30-Jun-2014, 21:12
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

14 finishers of 30 entries

I've always been on side of keeping tyres as they are but am starting to wonder if we should consider wets and see what everyone thinks about it now-

a season with rain at all meetings in an otherwise decent summer and a race with only 14 finishers out of 30 paid entries do seem to sway things a bit, at least in my mind- a set of tyres is gonna cost a lot less than last weekend did

maybe a meeting of everyone and a count of the for and against?
Old 01-Jul-2014, 00:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesaway
with only 14 finishers out of 30 paid entries do seem to sway things a bit, at least in my mind- a set of tyres is gonna cost a lot less than last weekend did

Does it, the fastest Class A guys I noticed going around in the Wet were Tim Sayers and Mike Burke, Tim crashed in Saturdays race early on when the track LOOKED more dry than wet and was caught out but it didn't slow him down any in Sunday's wetter race and Mike was fast in all conditions, others may have fallen off going slower than them but surely that's not the fault of the tyres.

Same goes for Class B with Jim Brian taking two wins in less than ideal conditions and a third in the dry race, again the only person lapping faster than him on Saturday was Mark Hamilton who like Tim crashed in Race 1 yet got a podium in the wetter Sunday race. Again riders were falling or having moments at slower speeds so again how can it be the fault of the tyres.

No matter what your riding on you push them to the maximum the conditions allow, over step the mark and your often off or given a wake up call.

I enjoy riding on wets and have several sets along with the spare wheels, discs, tools and ability to change them quickly but I still think its a bad idea for DD

Wets - Things to Consider

Are there less crashes or the same amount at higher speed,
There were 50 crashes in Saturdays endurance race across all the classes and they can all use wets and warmers.

Race two was red flagged 3 times and had to be run at a later time with riders seriously injured in a class with both wets and traction control is allowed

The price of spare wheels, discs and the wets
The tools and ability to change tyres at short notice

Which make wets and therefore which Brand of dry tyre
and what effect will this have on price

Possibility of other bikes/classes on the same grid as DD
And therefore the possibility of the loss of money from Ducati Insurance for the TV coverage.

By the way Trudi has informed me she is stepping down as riders rep at the end of this season and I'm still waiting to hear who has put themseleves forward as the technical manager of the series.

So come on folks step up and get involved in sorting out all the issues

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 01-Jul-2014, 01:05
MotoGP God

And here is a clip from the final Moto Grande 1000 race of the weekend
Jonathan Lodge (also race British Superstock 1000 and has raced British Supersport) on his ZX10R with wets and traction control, having already won a coupe of races over the weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujx6...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-Jul-2014, 01:43
Bevel Head
Bikes: Yamaha R1, Ducati 600SS

If wets are allowed into DD then to be competitive you will need 2 bikes, with a wet and a dry set up otherwise you will be at a disadvantage to those that can afford two bikes when it rains just before we get called (which seems to happen a lot). This for me is not in the spirit of DD

In the short time I have been involved this debate has gone full circle over and over again and each time the same conclusion is reached.

If its wet there will always be more accidents whether you are racing with wets or our road tyres but if you crash with wets you will be crashing at a higher speed.

The one tyre rule is fundamental to keeping DD affordable.
Old 01-Jul-2014, 09:44
Bevel Head
Bikes: Yamaha R1, Ducati 600SS

Sad to hear Trudi is stepping down
Old 01-Jul-2014, 16:14
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimjob
If wets are allowed into DD then to be competitive you will need 2 bikes,.

Nah, you don't need two bikes. I raced in DD class C on my 996 2012. Two sets of wheels ( wets and inters ) When it was bone dry we all put drys on when it was wet wet we put wets on and when it was neither of either we all made our own choice. Many a time the Classic superbike grid had half the grid on wets and half inters/slicks. We then all rode to the ability of the tyres. Yea we crashed in the wet and dry Derrr its racing :-) Look at moto GP last weekend and wet and dry choice :-)
I don't think any of the class C had two bikes
I raced in DD class A / DD class B and DD class C and I have to say I enjoyed C the most and the biggest reason was being able to use wets. I was Dallas No2 in Class A and B ( wet wasted weekend ) my choice to race in a control tyre series but in C I went out every race wet or dry. But at least it looked like a race rather than a parade of people trying stay upright.
Kev, the fastest guys. well yes all 2 of them and how fast would they have been on wets, they would have pushed both tyres
Cost of tyres, hmmm how much to go to Knockhill ? drop the round ( ok under current rules ) and buy wheels and tyres. Race entry/Test day/Petrol bike & Van/food etc
I'm not a DD member any more so I can not vote but I wanted to share my experience and personal thoughts on this matter and I do think people are being mislead by some of the reasons no to go to wets.

But at the end of the day if you sign up for a series that races on a controlled road tyre then there is no moaning on the day and if every signed up DD member has been balloted for the last few years and its still no then you cant argue the success of DD over the last what 8 years or more ? One of the bigger grids most weekends.

Craig
Old 01-Jul-2014, 21:03
MotoGP God

Class 1C with its two entrants and only run for one year isn't much of a recomendation. And to suggest I was taking part in a parade at the weekend is very misleading. I probably had my bike out of shape more in one race at Donington than all of the three dry races at Pembrey. I've spent 7 seasons racing across 5 classes where I could use wets with a best result of 6th overall in the NGRRC SoT championship so don't go thinking I haven't been there. But for DD I don't think its the way to go

Old 01-Jul-2014, 23:20
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
ar wets....

for me the only thing to add is the race was cut short because of the weather, it was raining and deemed too dangerous to race...or so the paddock story went.

I can tell you PR4's are awesome in the wet, but still no where near as good as wets, and a load better than the Dunlops. But...wets mean faster speeds and more competitive actions. Great for the spectator, great for the racers who keep it upright, not so for the faster crashes.

But, you can't compare the results on the bigger bikes, maybe look at how mini twins and CB cup manage in the wet..more or less accidents?

Either way, the key point missed here is it looks like the two Kev's and Trudi are off this season: so what happens then and who will pick up the reigns?
Old 01-Jul-2014, 23:30
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
ar wets....

for me the only thing to add is the race was cut short because of the weather, it was raining and deemed too dangerous to race...or so the paddock story went.

Which race was that
i was told Saturdays race was red flagged as riders weren't slowing under yellows demonstrated by two of them taking to the Gravel while the Marshalls were trying to recover Alan Ball's bike from the curb on the exit of Macleans just where you exit when on the racing line

Sundays race was also red flagged and after the flags came out and I cirulated the track slowly on the way to the Pit entry I found myself heading straight at the Marshalls recovering Simon Allen's bike in the Melbourne loop hairpin, not a issue at the speed I was going but would have been under race conditions.

Probably deemed Dangerous for the Marshalls to recover fallen bikes from dangerous positions

Old 02-Jul-2014, 00:20
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
the Saturday race, and never heard of a red flag because people agent slowing down.

If people tare overtaking on yellows, penalise them post event not every one in race