Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jun-2005, 10:57
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Bagonails - I had the standard system on my 749S. Why do you ask???
Old 23-Jun-2005, 12:39
Mille

Mood: Black Magic 999!
Righto, I will try and answer the questions above:

1. "The mesh bit" - this is there to look good and to tidy up the cable runners etc to the back light / indicators and generally to enhance the appearance (and I think it does a good job)

2. "The cat's" - apparently Ducati officially say you need a link pipe to remove the cat in the front pipe and a new ECU to remap / refuel. Hence this is the kit that is sold together when you buy the basic Termi system. However, the guys found that the cat in the front pipes is only a very small resiriction (the one i n the OEM backbox is much bigger). The Termi backbox has one side more restricted than the other to counter balance having no cat, so after much gas flow testing etc the one I have was designed to have a slight difference in the two rear appatures to balance in the same way. Doing it like this keeps the cost down (no need for a link pipe) and doesn't require remapping either.

As I said, much testing has gone into this pipe and I think its far better made than the Termi's that I looked at.

Hope this answers your questions?
Old 23-Jun-2005, 12:50
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Quote:
The Termi backbox has one side more restricted than the other to counter balance having no cat

That can't be right, if the de-cat link pipe is used?

Quote:
so after much gas flow testing etc the one I have was designed to have a slight difference in the two rear appatures to balance in the same way

I understand, that makes sense. Your backbox = slight restriction in rear cylinder silencing to balance with the restriction of the cat in the front cylinder pipe work. Gotcha.

So the question is, how much was the box? Is it easy to fit? If you got the Ducati race exhaust carbon heat shield would it fit the can apertures????

[Edited on 23-6-2005 by Twinfan]
Old 23-Jun-2005, 13:11
Mille

Your first question - I think its something to do with pipe lengths but again, not being technical, I'm not 100% sure. However, I am informed that the Termi back box does have different apertures (if only slightly different).

The box was £699 and the guys at Moto Rapido fitted it for me (part of the deal for buying the bike) during the first service. And yes, the carbon race exhaust shroud will fit the can apertures. I decided to keep the original black metal one to retain the OEM look and keep local rozzers quiet (they just modified it to accept the bigger pipes)
Old 23-Jun-2005, 15:14
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
£699 is about the same as you would be for a Termi assymetric race silencer , carbon cover , front pipe with no cat and carbon leg guard and a pair of hi-flow air filters to make it work properly , this is what I have on my 749R and it runs sweet as you like

The cat in the standard front pipe is approximately 3" long , it is a corrugated / swirling series of fine sheets and IS quite restrictive , I think the cat in the nearside (short pipe) entry to the standard silencer is exactly the same , the outlets from the standard silencer are identical.

The race silencer has two different size inlets but the perforated sleeves inside the silencer box are identical , as are the outlets , which are quite a bit bigger than the outlets in the standard box.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I can't see any benefit to the mesh thing on the underside of your silencer , it just looks like a dirt trap and extra weight , what's the point of fitting a light weight end can and then fitting an "extra" bit to it ?

As an aside , a S/H Termi system / part / whatever will always have a value , a bike fitted with the same will also be a more desirable S/H purchase , I doubt the same can be said of your pipe , I may be wrong but you can let us know 1 day maybe ?

[Edited on 23-6-2005 by yellowisfriedegg]
Old 23-Jun-2005, 18:59
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo750
I will ask what the score is next time I'm there.

(PS The above post, by me, sounded a little confrontational, wasn't meant that way it's just that I'm not too technically minded so I don't have the answers)

No worries mate, we just want whats best for you!
Old 23-Jun-2005, 19:53
Mille

Thanks Andy!

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowisfriedegg
£699 is about the same as you would be for a Termi assymetric race silencer , carbon cover , front pipe with no cat and carbon leg guard and a pair of hi-flow air filters to make it work properly , this is what I have on my 749R and it runs sweet as you like

The cat in the standard front pipe is approximately 3" long , it is a corrugated / swirling series of fine sheets and IS quite restrictive , I think the cat in the nearside (short pipe) entry to the standard silencer is exactly the same , the outlets from the standard silencer are identical.

The race silencer has two different size inlets but the perforated sleeves inside the silencer box are identical , as are the outlets , which are quite a bit bigger than the outlets in the standard box.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I can't see any benefit to the mesh thing on the underside of your silencer , it just looks like a dirt trap and extra weight , what's the point of fitting a light weight end can and then fitting an "extra" bit to it ?

As an aside , a S/H Termi system / part / whatever will always have a value , a bike fitted with the same will also be a more desirable S/H purchase , I doubt the same can be said of your pipe , I may be wrong but you can let us know 1 day maybe ?

Right, lets see:

1. Price for Termi's:

Termi can = £581.39
Front cylinder link pipe (no cat) = £120.75
Nuts, bolts and seals = £13.87
Fitting plug for can = £64.40
Carbon heat guard = £192.30
Racing air filters = £67.08

I reckon that equals - £1039.79, now maths may not be my strong suit but I'm sure that is a fair bit more than the £699 I paid for my pipe!

2. Don't disagree with you about standard pipes but we were not talking about standard! I don't think I mentioned how the restriction in the Termi's worked did I?

3. The "mesh thing"

it weighs nothing and is there to house the pipe work to the rear electrics. Even if it is just asthetic then I'm ok with that!

4. "Resale value"!

It would be my intention to return the bike to standard should I want to sell it (as I have done with my other bikes) so the bikes resale value will not be affected. You say that a Termi system will always have a value but intimate that any other system wouldn't - I expect people who choose Akrapovich, Micron, Arrows etc would disagree with you there. Besides, I have already saved £340.79 from not buying the Termi system so in three years time do you think the Termi will be worth more than £350 second hand? If not then you lose out anyway!

If you have bought into the Termi badge and can't see past it that there are better made and better value for money items in the marketplace then that is your prerogative I suppose. As for me, I wanted a system that does the job I wanted for the money I wanted to spend, and thats what I got.
Old 23-Jun-2005, 23:01
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo750
Thanks Andy!

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowisfriedegg

Right, lets see:

1. Price for Termi's:

Termi can = £581.39
Front cylinder link pipe (no cat) = £120.75
Nuts, bolts and seals = £13.87
Fitting plug for can = £64.40
Carbon heat guard = £192.30
Racing air filters = £67.08

I reckon that equals - £1039.79, now maths may not be my strong suit but I'm sure that is a fair bit more than the £699 I paid for my pipe!

2. Don't disagree with you about standard pipes but we were not talking about standard! I don't think I mentioned how the restriction in the Termi's worked did I?

3. The "mesh thing"

it weighs nothing and is there to house the pipe work to the rear electrics. Even if it is just asthetic then I'm ok with that!

4. "Resale value"!

It would be my intention to return the bike to standard should I want to sell it (as I have done with my other bikes) so the bikes resale value will not be affected. You say that a Termi system will always have a value but intimate that any other system wouldn't - I expect people who choose Akrapovich, Micron, Arrows etc would disagree with you there. Besides, I have already saved £340.79 from not buying the Termi system so in three years time do you think the Termi will be worth more than £350 second hand? If not then you lose out anyway!

If you have bought into the Termi badge and can't see past it that there are better made and better value for money items in the marketplace then that is your prerogative I suppose. As for me, I wanted a system that does the job I wanted for the money I wanted to spend, and thats what I got.

For a 05 model the Termi kit comes in at a shade under £1,500 !, hence the reason I went for one of these cans myself. As Gizmo says the realse value of the termi kit will be no greater than £500 bet you could get £400 + for a used on of these cans.

[Edited on 23-6-2005 by JohnDa]