Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 01-Sep-2009, 22:12
Mille
Bikes: S4R

Mood: Ready for Summer
Anyone ever owned a Porsche

As my kids are getting older and it's mainly only the wife and I, I was thinking about getting a sports car . Now the budget is not huge and I've always wanted a Porsche. With a budget of about £15K this seems to get a good model Porsche Boxster.

Question is, what are they like to live with. Will still be using it as a day to day car going too and from work (about 90 mile round trip).

As a soft top, what are they like for keeping wind/water out?
What is fuel economy?

Any advice welcome
Old 01-Sep-2009, 23:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Weejohnyboy, Nev 748 and Whele could be along any time soon

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 01-Sep-2009, 23:31
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul996
As my kids are getting older and it's mainly only the wife and I, I was thinking about getting a sports car . Now the budget is not huge and I've always wanted a Porsche. With a budget of about £15K this seems to get a good model Porsche Boxster.

Question is, what are they like to live with. Will still be using it as a day to day car going too and from work (about 90 mile round trip).

As a soft top, what are they like for keeping wind/water out?
What is fuel economy?

Any advice welcome

Get one, but IMHO not a boxster. May I suggest one of the last air cooled 911's (3.6 flat six, 280bhp) around M reg, for your budget you may stretch to get a really good model, but you won't be disappointed.

If you pick the right model, a Porsche will provide as reliable a super car as one good wish for.

Soft tops are all typically well engineered, and fuel a econmey not bad at all, say 20-26mpg ish.

I am sure other peeps will be along soon.

Last edited by 007 : 02-Sep-2009 at 09:31.
Old 01-Sep-2009, 23:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Had a '91 911 for a couple of years (99/00). I put petrol in it and serviced it once (£350) and sold it for pretty much what I paid for it. I loved it and, as much as I still get tempted to buy a Boxster S, I think it was the best allround car I've ever owned. The combination of practicality, usable speed, old-school interior, grunt and general gorgeousness was just spot-on. Fuel consumption was a bit lumpy but then so was the engine.
Old 02-Sep-2009, 02:19
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I have owned a Porsche for the last 9 years.
Its a 1994 993 C2 (which is a 3.6L 280bhp, not 3.2L), which for those not in the know, is the last of the air/oil cooled 911s.

15k wil possibly get you one of these, but more likely to get a 964 (88 to 94), which has a 3.2L, and about 265bhp. The 964 is much more tail happy, and feel somewhat older to drive than the 993 (imo), as they have an older style of suspension and gearbox. Thats not to say they feel bad to drive, its just a personal feeling having driven a number of them over the years. The interior in a 993 is almost identical to the 964 though, which as Ali says is definitely old school.
The 993 is the one most of the collectors go for so they tend to hold their money quite well. Mine returns 24mpg for spirited driving, and gets down below 12 if continually driven hard on a track day
Servicing wise they are cheaper than the newer water cooled 996s for the annual service. There are many independants about too, so no need to go to a main dealer unless you really feel the need.

If your going to get a boxster, make sure you buy an S. The non S is a great car, but everyone I've known who has had one soon gets fed up with it as it seems under powered.
The Boxster S is a great track day car as it is very well balanced. It makes a great everyday car too. Steer clear of one with ceramic brakes as they are blindingly expensive to replace. For everyday driving a Boxster S is just as quick as a 993.
I've thought about going for a newer one, and the S is definitely one I consider as a good replacement for the 993.

If your less sold on the idea of a Porsche and can live with a little less creature comforts, I'd suggest having a drive in a lotus elise or exige. Totally different kettle of fish - very light and very agile, but just as quick point to point. Possibly need a little more attention though (can't say for sure as I've not owned one, its just a feeling based on comments from mates that have them).

If you need any more info just ask away. I've been a member of a couple of porsche clubs and forums for a number of years, so can point you at a couple if you want to do a bit more research.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
John. (too many toys, not enough time).

Last edited by John W : 02-Sep-2009 at 02:23.
Old 02-Sep-2009, 12:01
Big Twin

Mood: Bike or Yacht..... tough choice on sunny day ;-)
Good sense already spoken.

I've had 5 porsches over the years.

924 Turbo, !!! scary fun
911 SC 3.0 great classic 911
993, last of the aircooled cars and a classic
996, first of the watercooled cars bit of a letdown
997.2 the latest PDK gearbox version, awesome vehicle

For the 15K ish budget i think youhave two options.
993 if you want something that is more than just a car, will be expensive to service but its a classic
Boxster S, great all round fun car and quite modern too.

Good luck !

STeve
Old 02-Sep-2009, 13:07
Bevel Head
Bikes: ex1098, ex748s,ex 999s, now 916 SP3

I would avoid the Boxster as well. You would no doubt feel at some point that you should have gone the whole hog and got a 911!
I would doubt you could get a 993 for that budget unless it had very high miles. Most are auto as well which for me takes away the whole driving experiance.
A 964 with low miles would be good for the miles you need to do but my old Impreza turbo was a quicker car. Best go for a 996 which if it has reasonable miles on should be a very good car. The 3.4 engines had problems if low milage so I went for a 996 C2 manual 3.6 which in my view is a great car. I use it everyday and take the children to school as there is room in the back for booster seats ( not much room in the 964/993)
Have a word with Ray at Northway Porsche 0118 9714333 for an honest opinion and will tell you servicing costs etc which don't seem too bad
Happy hunting,
Nev
Old 02-Sep-2009, 13:35
Mille
Bikes: S4R

Mood: Ready for Summer
Thanks for all the replies.

I love the look of the 911 but for the ones I like the look off are outside my price range

Will try a couple of dealers and see what's about. Might be worth driving one before I buy

Will keep you posted
Old 02-Sep-2009, 15:52
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
911virgins.co.uk or similar is a good read...IIRC
Old 02-Sep-2009, 16:04
500SD

hmmmmmmm

had a 996 for 8 months - did 22,000 miles - hated it - VERY fragile - infact the day AFTER we sold it - the bloody thing decided to blew its own engine up!

Boxter is a great car for everyday use - fun, reasonably fast - "Tiff" rates them highly and he actually knows a thing or two about cars - apparantly!

Simple advice - for your budget - steer clear of ANY 996 - try and get yourself into 993 if you can - join the POCGB for help/tips/advice (or even the actual purchase) make sure its got FULL history yada yada yada and you should be fine!

993 = a DIY mechanics wet dream and the very BEST car Porsche have ever made IMHO!

Enjoy!

khushy

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit