Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Feb-2004, 16:20
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
I must admit that I fell for the MS at the NEC 2002 but was dubious about buying Ducati due to all the scare stories that I had read/heard. I had been contemplating a Caponord but was put off by my experiances trying to get parts from Aprilia for my Pegaso. I am lucky in the fact that that the owner of the local Ducati shop is a friend so I was able to investigate the true cost of Ducati ownership which based on 12000 miles a year is not that much more than the ZRX1200R which I traded in for it. One lengthy test ride on the MS convinced me.I was not interested in the sports models as my body no longer fits this sort of bike. I liked the look the monsters but couldn't imagine taking one on a tour ( I am sure I will be receive plenty of posts telling me other wise) plus the fact that my credit card wilted at the sight of the accessory catalogue knowing that I can resist anything except temptation. I really liked the ST range (especially in yellow) but prefered the more upright riding position of the MS.I must admit that the accesory catalogue for this ha already made my flexible friend go weak at the knees
I must apologise if I have rambled on too long but I am really enthusiastic about my new purchase. Let's just hope I am still as keen this time next year
Old 21-Feb-2004, 17:35
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Welcome to the affliction Rocker-you do realise that now the Darkness has you there is no escape??
I love the Multistrada but own an ST4S-in Yellow of course-Multistrada was not out when I got my bike in 2001. I also don't fit the 9*6 bikes any more having re-shaped my wrist's on my 996 at Brands in May 2000. There is a group meets at the Pub, I think it's the Blue Ball oposite the Hopp Farm-anyway you can find the details on the site here.

John
Old 21-Feb-2004, 17:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Welcome back Rocker!..."MS"... it's the future, I know...I've sat on one!:P
Old 21-Feb-2004, 18:45
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Welcome back Rocker. We need more MS owners here, - you are the future in my opinion.

Some of the stuff on multistrada.net is soooooo negative and moan-y; they moan when their bike shows signs of corrosion after riding through salt and not cleaning it off properly, - somehow that is the fault of Ducati.

Ian,you have said it all mate.
Old 22-Feb-2004, 21:49

Mood: Stradavarious
Corrosion

The problem evidenced on Multistrada.net with "moaning" is that there are a whole load of new people attracted to Ducati by the Multistrada.

This is good as it secures Ducati's future in the same way as the Monster did. Ducati cannot survive by selling 999s alone.

The problem is that new recruits expect Dukes to be like Jap bikes i.e. appliance -like. Any niggles and they are loking for the next consumer watchdog to lobby.

Paul
Old 23-Feb-2004, 11:04
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Hey Rocker,

you don't have to worry about your credit card taking a thrashing against the DP catalogue, simply because it takes so long for anything to arrive!

Hope that wasn't too much of a Multistrada.net-like moan

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by luckywhiteheather]
Old 23-Feb-2004, 11:55
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Being in the throes of trying to decide between an MS and an ST4S, seeing the link to multistrada.net on this thread was very handy.
I see a few of you from here post over there too

Anyway, this comment about the corrosion. Having seen a few monsters with half the lacquer missing it did concern me too, and to be honest is my main niggle about buying an MS for touring (very exposed, likely to get lots of stone chips, and unlikely to get washed every evening while on tour).
My plan was to get a fender extender and maybe a belly pan.

Assuming I was to order my bike today, realistically when would I most likely get the DP goodies to go with it ?
Or put another way, are all the DP bits on short supply, or only certain ones ?

Btw, for a bike that has supposedly sold so many, you don't see many for sale second hand just yet
Cheers,
John.
Old 23-Feb-2004, 13:29
500SD

John Some of the DP items arrive quite quickly but others seem to take for ever. This seems to apply especialy to Carbon fibre items. I can recommend the QB Carbon which I have fitted and pyramid are bringing out a fender extender very soon. Spareshack also sell huggers & belly pans but I have no personall knowledge of their quality. I have purchased other items from them and found the service very good.
As to the lack of S/Hand Multistradas I can only say why would anyone want to part with one?
Get yourself one You know it makes sense
Old 23-Feb-2004, 13:34
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by luckywhiteheather
Hey Rocker,

you don't have to worry about your credit card taking a thrashing against the DP catalogue, simply because it takes so long for anything to arrive!
My panniers top box seat comfort screen cover clutch cover pressure plate exhaust cover & billet shock adjuster are here just waiting to be fitted but I am still waiting on the CF belt covers

]

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by Rocker]
Old 23-Feb-2004, 14:16
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Hi John, Rocker is absolutely right! Delivery timescales can be a bit erratic to say the least.

I ordered a whole host of DP stuff at time I ordered MS last March/April. Bike arrived May but first 'stuff' to arrive was Comfort Screen and Panniers at end of August. Therafter it's probably averaged 1 part every six-eight weeks or so. Of parts originally ordered I'm still waiting on Carbon Belly Pan.

I've held off ordering any other carbon goodies to see who of after-market suppliers can beat Ducati to it.