Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 05-Sep-2005, 23:37
Mille

Mood: Up For It!
Pembrey results....

Raced at Pembrey this weekend, got there on Thursday evening as there was a test day on Friday, I didn't do any testing but took the opportunity to get the bike up together as I haven't had time to touch it since the last round at Donnington, so with oil and filter changed, brakes and clutch bled and slipper stripped cleaned and ramps greased I ventured out on Saturday for the first race.

I've been working on the starts and got a flier off the line and led into the first corner, two laps in and I was pushed back to second, I then swapped places several times but lost out on the last lap and finished second. Lap times into the 1.02's.

Second race similar story, flying start, lost the lead on the second lap and try as I did I didn't manage to get back to the front but had a real battle with Andy Peck (who has just wrapped up the championship) swapping places several times on the next few laps, I was ahead in second as we circulated for the last lap and rode a defensive line to keep the door shut - Andy hung back on the run up to Honda curve and got better drive out and out dragged me to the line beating me into third place by two tenths of a second - great race but a bit gutted after my efforts. Again lap times in the 1.02's and by way of consolation I had set the fastest lap of the race.

Sundays races:

Race one: a flying start, led the race until the second lap when there was the familiar sight of Mark Compton as he came past, again we swapped places several times both going into the hairpin too hot and overtaking each other on consecutive laps and then changing backwards and forwards on the last lap I was in second and closing in as we came round the esses, heading down towards the second hairpin we both braked as late as possible but I got better drive on the exit which enabled me to get alongside as we approached Woodlands (for those of you that haven't been around Pembrey this is a very fast - sixth gear on my 996 corner) I went for the inside and dived underneath and kept a tight line through Honda to try and fend off the inevitable last ditch assault. Result - race win and I set the fastest lap with a 1.02.1 - knocking on the door of the 1.01's - my goal for the afternoon.

Really enjoyed the race and the pre and post race camaradarie and banter is almost as much fun as the racing.

Race Two: As the race was approaching the heavens opened and the wets were bolted in ready for what was to be only my second ever wet race.

Again got the holeshot and held Compton off to the first corner, this was to be short lived however, as I was quickly overtaken by riders more experienced in the conditions and I didn't feel comfortable pushing it, I lost ground on the leading trio and lost fourth place on the last lap - result fifth.

I am going to make a point of getting out early next season to do some wet testing as this is one area of my riding that needs considerable improvement.

As far as the championship goes I am now in third place and cannot be overtaken, likewise because I lost points to Mark over the weekend I cannot finish second.

My goal at the beginning of this, my first season was to win a race and get a top 3 championship placing. I have won two races and finished third in the championship - goal attained.

Furthermore I think that I have made notable progress over the course of the season and really improved my riding and look forward to building on this next season - and it has been such good fun. It would be great to see more DSC members on the grid next year so if you fancy an outing in Sound Of Thunder or Mini Twins next year in the friendliest paddock anywhere give me a shout for a chat.

Cheers,

[Edited on 6-9-2005 by Garry Smith]
Old 05-Sep-2005, 23:56
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Great write up and congrats ....

Tim
Old 05-Sep-2005, 23:57
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Brilliant racing Gary, a shot for the title next year for sure!

I'm going to try'n get to thruxton on 1st October... get the kettle on!
Old 06-Sep-2005, 00:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Garry i think you will find the fast kink taken in top gear is Woodlands, you will find Spifires (Scene of Dallas's big highside on his 916 Strada) is the right hander after hatchets Hairpin.
1min 01s should be easy once you learn the circuit

Congratulations on your race win, shame about the championship, then again Andy does sponsor it so he obviously didn't want you walking off with his money.
Old 06-Sep-2005, 01:56
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Well done Garry - a race win, something I can only dream of.You must be chuffed to bits!
Old 06-Sep-2005, 08:29
Mille

Thanks for the comments.

Kev, I must have spent more time learning which way the corners go rather than what they are called! anyway, I will edit my post right away with the correct name!

Catch u soon.
Old 06-Sep-2005, 09:13
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Garry, I know Woodlands well, a couple of years ago I was on my 916 leading Deano on his 996SPS out of the Brooklands hairpin and he made a move under me coming through woodlands and as he drifted out it forced me onto the grass, I had a interesting ride to the marshalls point down at Honda Curve.
Same nearly happened in the first race on Saturday when a SV650 passed me in the same place, this time I closed the throttle and dropped in behind rather than try and duel it out.
Old 06-Sep-2005, 10:32
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Great result Garry.

So what for next season? Same class or something like MRO Supertwins?
Old 06-Sep-2005, 20:09
Mille

Hi Ozz,

Definately same class, as hopefully I will be able to build on what I have learned this year.

At 38 I have no aspirations of ending up on a Superbike grid so whilst I am passionate about racing I am out there to improve my riding and chase the results but it absolutely has to be fun, and it is my personal opinion that as a club NG Road Racing has it spot on from the organisers to the marshalls to the scrutineers and all of the other racers, there is an overriding friendly and team oriented spirit with everybody willing to help each other and during the course of the season I have forged some great friendships and can't wait to do it all again next year.

That's not to say that I won't be having a dabble with some of the other clubs as I have this year at circuits that we don't go to!
Old 06-Sep-2005, 20:49
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Fair enough. Racing is all about enjoyment!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit