Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 26-Apr-2006, 14:06
500SD

Life Brands Hatch and Thankyou

Hi,

Some of you might know me as the person with the strange user name always asking questions on the site (sometimes very obvious ones) others of you may have met me at the two races so far.

I thought I would write a quick note about joining this series, Brands Hatch (not a full race report but just my impressions) and to say thanks to a few of the people that have helped me in whatever way.

I decided to enter the DD because it pressed all the right buttons for me as soon as I heard of it:

1) Racing a Ducati - who cares if it's not a 999
2) Wanted a real riding challenge
3) Cheap (ish)
4) Friendly paddock
5) I am slightly mad - not as mad as some of you I'm sure

All I can say is that so far all those buttons are being pressed (except for number 3 maybe )

I thought that racing meant that you got a bike got it sorted out for racing, turned up at race tracks and raced. How wrong was I. I soon realised how many factors had to be figured in - suspension settings, ride height, fork oil weight, fairing brackets (getting them to fit), footpeg position, gearing...the list is fairly long but are you getting the picture? ...I thought I was still turning up at track days with a bike that I rode as it came from the shop....don't laugh too much!
So anyway it's been a learning curve...and it seems you are never too old to learn

Anyway onto Brands Hatch I have to say it was a really good weekend for me in that I was running a new seat unit and clip ons, becasusI was really not getting on with the riding position of the Monster, and felt really comfortable with the new set up. I also didn't crash in qualifying, as I did at Cadwell and I completed two races in weather that was less than inspirational.
About the racing bit I got some very bad starts (this is not a track day you know) and then took far too long to pass people (this is not a track day you know) but overrall MUCH happier with the bike so hopefully this bodes well for my next race at CC.

THANKYOU
I would like to mention:

Antoinne - for the loan of your number board and advice - Very kind

Paul - The loan of a footpeg, and the advice you gave me and reminding me that I needed to buy a fog city insert. (Sorry about your crash and hope you get everything together for the next race)

AK and CK - Advice and general bon homie (is that how you spell it?)

Paul Martin - For our little secret and being a good laugh

Murray - for introducing yourself and great advice

Nick B - for giving Paul's footpeg to a complete stranger

Max Gidney - for the loan of his tyre pressure guage when i couldn't find mine

Andrew Griffiths - advice at the Focused Events track day and U2U

and everybody else who has responded to my pleas on this site or helped me or just simply said "hello" at the track.

And that is button number 4 pressed I would say.

NB: I thought the Early Learning session sounded great but unfortunately I couldn't make Saturday.

Did anybody video it or take minutes

Anyway I said I would keep this short and that's my lunch break over too

Good luck to all the lucky people going to Assen hope you have a great time

Franco

[Edited on 26-4-2006 by Fastfasulli]
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:41
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Nice one Franco
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:44
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
We haven't met yet but I've seen you riding around the paddock. Sorry I haven't introduced myself yet.

Nice write up, and glad to have you out there
Old 26-Apr-2006, 16:21
Ducati Corse

Franco - thoroughly nice bloke

Not sure what else went on at the meeting, but I know Andy spent a little while discussing rider position on the bike.
He'll be about some of the time at Assen the the other rounds if you want to natter mate

Old 26-Apr-2006, 17:45
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Franco, I'd've given you his whole bike for a packet of biccies!
Old 26-Apr-2006, 21:16
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by CK

Not sure what else went on at the meeting, but I know Andy spent a little while discussing rider position on the bike.
He'll be about some of the time at Assen the the other rounds if you want to natter mate

Thanks. Will try to have a chat to Andy at CC. I hope Assen goes well for you - I wish i was going now
Old 27-Apr-2006, 02:01
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Fastfasulli
I hope Assen goes well for you

I hope it goes better for me
Old 27-Apr-2006, 13:39
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996

he would too :P

Franco, no worries mate, always happy to help anybody get more fun out of life. As my own RH peg is now about an inch and a half shorter than it should be I'd appreciate a replacement when you eventually get it, not gonna be at Assen so no rush mate. Good to see you out there
Old 27-Apr-2006, 13:45
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996

he would too :P

Franco, no worries mate, always happy to help anybody get more fun out of life. As my own RH peg is now about an inch and a half shorter than it should be I'd appreciate a replacement when you eventually get it, not gonna be at Assen so no rush mate. Good to see you out there

Paul, I assure you if he did offer me that deal i would have gone off an bought nothing less than a top notch packet of biccies:P

I will be in touch as soon as I get the peg delivery - thanks again - you got me out of a hole there
Old 27-Apr-2006, 14:35
Mille

Mood: THUNDERPANTS HERE I COME, NEW PANTS PLEASE :-0
Hey Franco pepole are gonna start too talk our little secret...........:P.

Its a pity you are not going to Assen mate would of been a blast . I am gonna have a word with Andy as the advice he gave worked you were long gone in 2nd race, i can't have that .......... .Mate sound's like we are both enjoying it more than we could ever imagine , i'm having the time of my life..............