Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2005, 23:56
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
996 starting problems Help

My ole gal has all ways been a reluctant starter,but has never let me down until tonight on a little local ride out. Pulled into a garage for fuel and she refused to start,just about turned the starter over, then the starter relay started to chatter, this is a brand new starter relay. Lights worked OK all the dash lit up. Now having had a new battery, 6 months old it seemed OK to. Alternator seemed to be charging at around 15V. Ive heard the starter motor are bullet proof any one got any idea where to start looking or is it a new starter motor (Expensive no doubt) The nice man from the AA got me home in the end . 4D
Old 09-Sep-2005, 01:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Pete make sure the main earth at the back of the engine near the rear brake reservoir is alright. If the relay is chattering either the starter motor is trying to draw excessive current or the correct amount of current isn't available which could be down to a earth problem

Kev
Old 09-Sep-2005, 10:46
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Sounds like wiring/earth to me too Fordie. Imagine you already been on the blower to Nelly. He'll know for sure.

PS: Didn't you try to bump it off? My Datatool alarm started mucking about at a recent track day, and I found that with a little shove from anyone standing near was enough to bump start it. Just a tip for the future!
Old 09-Sep-2005, 12:11
Ducati Corse

The cables going to the starter are a known problem. U2U Rushjob, he got some pukka ones form somewhere or you could use welding cable.
Old 09-Sep-2005, 18:51
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Stripped every thing done and cleaned the terminals , still reluctant to turn over. Maybe get another battery and try that next. I did see some of the plates looking "frosted" on a couple of the cell blocks. Thanks for you replies lads.4D
Old 09-Sep-2005, 18:55
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
4D

I just had to relace the battery on the ST after 9 months, cell 1 in from the right had sulphated up and though it had 12.5v it had no guts due to internal resistance.

Dealer swapped for free!
Old 09-Sep-2005, 20:26
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fordie
Stripped every thing done and cleaned the terminals , still reluctant to turn over. Maybe get another battery and try that next. I did see some of the plates looking "frosted" on a couple of the cell blocks. Thanks for you replies lads.4D

Try a set of jump leads off your car mate as if it starts then it has to be batt, or even use battery charger on fast charge to crank it over.

Old 09-Sep-2005, 20:40
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hey Pete,
Next time you have the fairing off have a look at the starter motor connection.It would not be unusual for the rubber boot to fill up with water and corrode the terminal.
Just a thought.
Old 09-Sep-2005, 20:42
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Sounds like battery to me too - Good Luck
Tim