Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Sep-2005, 14:20
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Dished clutch plate!!!

It's nagging away at me, What is the reason that the clutchpack contains a dished clutch-plate????
Old 04-Sep-2005, 14:33
Big Twin

Mood: happy
not sure, just make sure you put it in with the dot facing you.
Old 04-Sep-2005, 14:53
WSB Hero

I can't.
I have a set of carbon faced alluminium plates fitted, but i have no dished drive plate!!!!
Old 04-Sep-2005, 14:55
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by adam
not sure, just make sure you put it in with the dot facing you.

Thats not necessarily true as you can have more than one dished plate, even up to four!

In which case some would be fitted the other way around!
Old 04-Sep-2005, 15:24
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

OK... the dished plate is actually one of the steels and you usually have two which "face away from each other". The idea is, to stop chatter and slipping when you take off. Over time the dishing reduces through use and heat and this has an impact on the wear rate of the plates. The reduction in the dishing renders the plates more flat and so the overall stack height reduces. Apparently, the stack height is critical (particularly in slipper cluteches which wear more quickly). The dished steels should be checked from time to time and replaced if they have lost the cooncave or dish effect. If the stack height gets below 0.4 -0.5 (as the distance measured from the central splines) then you get increased wear and the plates wear against the basket more significantly.

Just to say .... I'm no expert on this and am repeating what Rick Hackett told me when replacing my plates and basket before going abroad over a week ago. I am only sadly spending time writing this on a sunny Sunday because my bike was nicked in Holland on Thursday - just so you don't think I am complete anorak (only slightly!!!!!!!!).
Old 04-Sep-2005, 16:14
WSB Hero

Stealth2, Condolances on your recent loss. Hope insurance co pull out the stops for you.
With regard the plates, could explain why i am experiancing a small chatter on take off , will have to pull out thr pack and check if any of the flat plates were once dished. Will probably buy some spares anyway.
Old 04-Sep-2005, 16:24
Big Twin

Mood: happy
standard clutches only have one dished plate with the dot facing out. I did have two with the slipper clutch.
Old 04-Sep-2005, 17:16
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by stealth2
OK... the dished plate is actually one of the steels and you usually have two which "face away from each other". The idea is, to stop chatter and slipping when you take off. Over time the dishing reduces through use and heat and this has an impact on the wear rate of the plates. The reduction in the dishing renders the plates more flat and so the overall stack height reduces. Apparently, the stack height is critical (particularly in slipper cluteches which wear more quickly). The dished steels should be checked from time to time and replaced if they have lost the cooncave or dish effect. If the stack height gets below 0.4 -0.5 (as the distance measured from the central splines) then you get increased wear and the plates wear against the basket more significantly.

Just to say .... I'm no expert on this and am repeating what Rick Hackett told me when replacing my plates and basket before going abroad over a week ago. I am only sadly spending time writing this on a sunny Sunday because my bike was nicked in Holland on Thursday - just so you don't think I am complete anorak (only slightly!!!!!!!!).

I would describe them as facing each other! Take a dish bowl, sitting on a work surface. Now put another upside down on to the top of it.

that is how they should face, not the other way around.
Old 04-Sep-2005, 17:49
GTL

I'd agree with that. Excuse my poor phrasing. Definitely with inner circumferences not touching!
Old 04-Sep-2005, 17:51
GTL

oooops got that the wrong way round - heh heh!

Definitely not an expert........